Twin Spark paper

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alex Goodhart
356 Fan

Twin Spark paper

#1 Post by Alex Goodhart »

Last edited by Alex Goodhart on Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashley James
356 Fan

Re: Twin Spark paper

#2 Post by Ashley James »

They’ve developed a new twin plug ignition system and make the following claims.

"The results have shown that performance of dual plug engine is comparatively better than the conventional single plug ignition engine under all three ignition timings. The results have shown considerable performance improvement in power output and thermal efficiency, as well as reduction in BSFC, HC, and CO emission in dual plug mode of operation."

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

"Grasping at straws" This idiom refers to a drowning man grabbing any floating object, even a straw, to save himself. It was first used by Thomas More in A Dialogue of Comfort Against Tribulation (1534).
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

John Hawkins
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Hawkins »

Alex,
I don't know about the results of the paper, but you can probably find a better source of information than a journal that "publishes" anything researchers submit, including medical, economic, agriculture, and engineering research. Focused journals provide a more rigorous peer review process.

May I suggest SAE International here: https://www.sae.org/
OR search their publications for "Twin spark plugs" and read these Professional papers: https://www.sae.org/search/?qt=%22twin+ ... splay=list

It might be easier to ask those with twin plugs for their experiences.
Best of luck,
John

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

It seems to me the major auto manufacturers would have or currently are exploring the benefits of designing a twin-plug engine to increase fuel economy and reduce emissions and, if additional horsepower is achieved, that would be a additional selling point.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron LaDow »

Mike Wilson wrote:It seems to me the major auto manufacturers would have or currently are exploring the benefits of designing a twin-plug engine to increase fuel economy and reduce emissions and, if additional horsepower is achieved, that would be a additional selling point.
Mike
Different chambers, and a central plug beats any twin-plug configuration.
You can easily see this if you imagine looking directly down on the chamber. A central plug has the shortest burn path available; the radius of the bore. Any twin-plug geometry still can't beat that; the path can't be shorter than the hypotenuse side of a right triangle with the short side from the center of the bore to the plug.
But it sure can (and does) beat a single plug in a 616 chamber.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

Ford and Nissan have both had production engines with twin plugs, but don't choose to use that system very often.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#8 Post by Jim Liberty »

My wife's 500 SL is twin plug. The tune up at the MB dealer would cover the cost of my first new car.

.......................................................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Ashley James
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ashley James »

Alfa Romeo we’re making twin spark engines, may still be, but agree they’d be common if they offered benefit.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks for the info, Guys. I wasn't aware that there are car makers using twin-plug engines. Maybe because my main focus is on the 356. I can only imagine what a tune up on the twin-plugs costs.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

C J Murray
356 Fan

#11 Post by C J Murray »

I'm going to twin plug my lawnmower so I can cut the grass faster! Oops, I have a grass cutting service. Then I'm going to twin plug everything else. I don't want to miss out.

I am guessing that the twin plug engines in modern cars are a means to meet emissions and mileage requirements imposed by government. I know that some modern engines have used two different ignition maps for the two plugs to clean up residual exhaust gases that otherwise would be dirty exhaust.

F1 engines use a single spark plug that is also a fuel injector. There is a cup at the combustion chamber end that has holes/ports that allow flames to shoot out into the cylinder. The plug is a pre-chamber that fires a rich mixture that then shoots flames through the ports and into the cylinder which has a very lean mixture that needs the multiple flames from the spark plug ports to fire such a lean mixture. This allows the fuel consumption to be reduced. The earliest version of this technology that I know of was the original Honda Civic CVCC of many years ago.

Sometimes engineers do things to circumvent regulations, not to make power.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#12 Post by Martin Benade »

Ford worked on stratified-charge engines earlier, but it took Honda to bring it into the real world.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

C J Murray
356 Fan

#13 Post by C J Murray »

Martin Benade wrote:Ford worked on stratified-charge engines earlier, but it took Honda to bring it into the real world.
Hi Martin, you prompted me to do a search and I found that Ricardo and GM registered patents in 1922. Now it is an F1 standard. Maybe they will try flatheads again?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#14 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Mike Wilson wrote:It seems to me the major auto manufacturers would have or currently are exploring the benefits of designing a twin-plug engine to increase fuel economy and reduce emissions and, if additional horsepower is achieved, that would be a additional selling point.
Mike
My 2003 Mercedes C240 Wagon has twin plugs per cylinder.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Mike Wilson »

So it seems auto makers have been using twin-plugs for quite a while. Question: are they effective for just gasoline or other fuels like diesel, CNG, etc.as well?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe