Brake cylinders

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
JohnPierce
356 Fan

Brake cylinders

#1 Post by JohnPierce »

I am rebuilding my '63 B T6, which is missing many of the brake cylinders and the remaining ones are very pitted. I'm probably going to have to buy new ones. Some of these cost $44, some $53, some $153, and others are over $200 and $300. Was hoping to get people's opinions on these. Are the less expensive ones of good quality? Hate to waste money!!

Thanks.
1963 B T6 Project

Bil Brown
356 Fan

Re: Brake cylinders

#2 Post by Bil Brown »

I bought a set from "356 Devotion" and the shoes would not fit into the pressure pads on the cylinders, probably because they were plated. I emailed them, and they would not do anything about it. I offered to send them back at my own expense....nothing!
Bill Brown

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

Buy the cheaper set from Stoddard and be sure that if there is any problem they will make it right.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

JohnPierce
356 Fan

#4 Post by JohnPierce »

Thanks David. Are there known issues with the cheaper ones?
1963 B T6 Project

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

John, I have used a few sets and have had no problems with the ones from Stoddard.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bil Brown »

Adam from "356 Devotion" & I have been trading emails, and Adam`s seeing how the fit is on his stock of wheel cyls.....so we can resolve this.
Bill Brown

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#7 Post by Phil Planck »

I had to open up the slots in the Stoddard ones to fit the thickness of my shoes. They are narrower than original.
Phil Planck

David Green
356 Fan

#8 Post by David Green »

As an option for your existing ones consider White Post re-sleeving. They may also have matching replacements. I wanted to keep the originals in my 1953 so had them re-sleeve mine. Not cheap ($85?) but fast and high quality service.
David

http://whitepost.com/brake-sleeving-reb ... -services/

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#9 Post by Steve Douglas »

I bought a set from Sierra Madre at the Lit Meet/Open Shop weekend. Set of 6 cylinders were around $190. Master Cylinder was around $85. They worked ok, however the slot where the brake shoes fit in was too narrow for the original shoes, required a slight grinding of the shoe to fit. The latest offering of shoes are just a little bit thinner and slip right in. Hoses were about $60 for all four.
On a set I installed two years ago the star adjuster "wheel" would not spin under pressure, needed to file the edges a little so they would not catch on the cast iron cylinder, don't remember where those were bought.