New Windshield too big

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

Re: New Windshield too big

#16 Post by Jim Liberty »

You might try a bottle jack and some 2X4 spacers and push the opening up just a couple of "Hairs". I did that on a damaged roof some time ago. I'm also suspect of the rubber. They can differ substantially. Brad's work well. And there is a difference between the Reutter and Carmen rubbers. The Carmen is a little wider, and covers more of the outside opening. .......................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#17 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Hey Jim: I bought the rubber from Hoffman Porsche in Hartford Didn't know there were two options. It had more stickers and codes on the bag than I could count. How can I tell if it is Reutter or Carmen (mark or name someplace) and do you have an opinion regarding which would be better in this situation?

I agree bottle jacks can be nice "persuaders" if used in careful moderation but I think that is a last resort. Page B65 of my '60 shop manual shows a dimension of 394 mm on the centerline of the windshield opening. I'll check that dim on mine. The depth of the rubber groove which accepts the glass is ~ 10 mm on both the old and new rubber.

Things are on hold with the long holiday weekend as they closed the shop today.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#18 Post by Martin Benade »

If you have to do the bottle jack bending, using three at once would be Less likely to cause waves in the roof or cowl than using a single one. Probably harbor freight has them very cheaply..
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#19 Post by Adam Wright »

Another thing that has changed is the softness of the rubber. You can try re-using your old rubber or soaking the new stuff in hot water to soften it up. The new rubber seems to be very hard compared to the more supple stuff from old.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#20 Post by Mike Wilson »

Paul: if the part number is on the bag your windshield rubber came in, I think you can determine if it is Reutter or Karmann. Karmann does have a wider lip on it.

Mike
Last edited by Mike Wilson on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan

#21 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Thanks to all for those last few tips. Adam, one of the options the shop and I discussed was trying the old rubber, and I remember the trick of boiling the rubber - another option. We'll get it eventually, I'm sure. Shop closed until Tuesday so I can't check the bag until then. Annoying. I planned to log a bunch of miles this weekend: Lime Rock, Adam's free lunch, etc. Weather will be great compared to what we've had in N.E. the last month or two - rain, rain, rain. I cry when I see a Forester in 110107's spot in the garage.

Hey Jim, we both should have our gray matter checked. Carmen? As in Miranda or Ghia? That got right past me. Bad sign that we're both headed South.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan

#22 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Success! The Sigla windshield is in without having to shave it down. I told the shop to try using the old gasket rather than the new one and, as if by magic, the windshield with trim strip fit into place (thanks, Adam). Before it was installed I measured the depths of the three grooves (for windshield, trim strip, and body section) at the connected seam on both old and new gaskets. The depths were the same for both gaskets. I also measured the dimension between top and bottom of the windshield opening on the car centerline as shown on page B65 of my Workshop Manual; I measured exactly 394 mm as shown in the diagram. Go figure.

Pleasure to drive home and happy to have my sled back in the garage. What a struggle. I think I'll sleep in it tonight. Thanks to all for your advice and assistance.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#23 Post by Mike Wilson »

Congrats!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#24 Post by Adam Wright »

PaulAhnell wrote:Success! The Sigla windshield is in without having to shave it down. I told the shop to try using the old gasket rather than the new one and, as if by magic, the windshield with trim strip fit into place (thanks, Adam). Before it was installed I measured the depths of the three grooves (for windshield, trim strip, and body section) at the connected seam on both old and new gaskets. The depths were the same for both gaskets. I also measured the dimension between top and bottom of the windshield opening on the car centerline as shown on page B65 of my Workshop Manual; I measured exactly 394 mm as shown in the diagram. Go figure.

Pleasure to drive home and happy to have my sled back in the garage. What a struggle. I think I'll sleep in it tonight. Thanks to all for your advice and assistance.
I'm sure I'm not the first guy to say, I wish they made rubber like they used to, glad it worked out. This is also another lesson in NEVER throw anything away, because you never know. I learned that with my first car. I was swapping out the alternator on my 82 Scirocco, there was a sawed off piece of screwdriver in the mounting piece, to get the belt angle right. I threw it over my shoulder into the grass. Well guess what, three hours later I was crawling through the grass looking for that piece. Apparently, someone had swapped in an alternator assembly from a Jetta, which mounted different.
Attachments
scir.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.