64 SC

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: 64 SC

#16 Post by Doug McDonnell »

With the 12 year old tires probably a good idea. I was sure tempted to bid against you but too far away from Michigan. In person does it look more Smyrna green like in the photos? Personally I think you got a nice driver SC for the money you paid.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#17 Post by Larry Brooks »

I think the tire companies have done a fantastic job convincing Americans that tires over five years old are dangerous - no matter what the circumstances. Can't blame them because it helps them sell a lot of tires. These Vredestein tires have less than 1000 miles on them and have always been in a climate controlled garage. If they had been sitting in a driveway in the desert sun I would be concerned. I did inspect each one and they still look/feel new so I'll keep an eye on them but run them for awhile. After we found it we drove our 36 Pierce Arrow for a few weeks while waiting for the new tires. I'm pretty sure two of them were original! Obviously drove at low speeds to the exhaust shop, tire shop etc. and of course it had two spares. It too had been stored in a garage but on blocks with the tires off the ground.

The paint is closer to Irish green than Smyrna in real life. I'd call it Irish with the blues. :-)

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#18 Post by Adam Wright »

Larry Brooks wrote:I think the tire companies have done a fantastic job convincing Americans that tires over five years old are dangerous - no matter what the circumstances. Can't blame them because it helps them sell a lot of tires. These Vredestein tires have less than 1000 miles on them and have always been in a climate controlled garage. If they had been sitting in a driveway in the desert sun I would be concerned. I did inspect each one and they still look/feel new so I'll keep an eye on them but run them for awhile. After we found it we drove our 36 Pierce Arrow for a few weeks while waiting for the new tires. I'm pretty sure two of them were original! Obviously drove at low speeds to the exhaust shop, tire shop etc. and of course it had two spares. It too had been stored in a garage but on blocks with the tires off the ground.

The paint is closer to Irish green than Smyrna in real life. I'd call it Irish with the blues. :-)
This guy's tires were 7-8 years old I think, it's not worth the risk.
Attachments
wreck1.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#19 Post by Larry Brooks »

This guy's tires were 7-8 years old I think, it's not worth the risk.[/quote]

So someone blamed the tires? I see two tires on this side holding air on what appears to be a straight stretch of road. And the way the car is sitting, I think the other two tires are still holding air. So whats the rest of the story here?

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#20 Post by Larry Brooks »

Charles H Jacobus wrote:I was surprised that this SC which appeared to me as a "driver" could have brought $60,000. Appeared to have significant rust and needed a complete new paint job.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964- ... c-coupe-5/

Thoughts?

Chuck
I put the car on my lift and cleaned off the brown dust with a wire brush. I then sprayed the pan with black primer and paint to cover the exposed metal. The original pans are rock solid, as are the original longitudinals, areas under the rear torsion mounts and closing panels.

Not sure what you were seeing, but definitely one of the most solid 356s(25+) I've owned.

I do have the correct battery pan and tow hook on order.
Attachments
64scpan1aa.jpg
64sclong.jpg
64sclong2.jpg

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#21 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Pretty darned nice 54 year old metal.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#22 Post by Larry Brooks »

One of my Porsche friends lives a few blocks from me. He asked me to bring it by which I did yesterday and we took it for a drive. He agreed it was an excellent driver and interested in buying it.

Today I called him and told him it was on my lift. Came down, saw how incredibly solid it is and bought it.

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#23 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Congratulations Larry!!!! Glad you got home safe. And glad what I was seeing was wrong!

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)