64 SC

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

64 SC

#1 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

I was surprised that this SC which appeared to me as a "driver" could have brought $60,000. Appeared to have significant rust and needed a complete new paint job.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964- ... c-coupe-5/

Thoughts?

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Bruce Hagopian
356 Fan

Re: 64 SC

#2 Post by Bruce Hagopian »

I think most sales on bring-a-trailer go for more than one would expect. Auction fever maybe.
Seems like a good place to sell.
Bruce Hagopian

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Significant rust? I guess it all depends on where you live. Here in the Midwest it appears pretty clean. And was only bid 1K more that Hagerty #4 for an SC.Now a 64 C is worth considerably less 44k vs 59K for Hagerty #4. Yes has issues but doesn't seem that bad. Our own Larry Brooks bought it and I doubt he pays too much very often. Perhaps Larry will chime in. I don't doubt that some private sales may get a better car for the money but show me a public sale for an SC as nice for 60K SC's are like S90's they bring a Premium.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#4 Post by George Hussey »

absolutely fever on that site, thought that I could buy an 88 cab like my original one I owned years ago 10 grand more than it was worth, but was outbid
George Hussey

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#5 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Tough to see the rust well with pictures. Hope it works good for you Larry! Interior looks great!

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#6 Post by Larry Brooks »

Charles H Jacobus wrote:I was surprised that this SC which appeared to me as a "driver" could have brought $60,000. Appeared to have significant rust and needed a complete new paint job.

Thoughts?

Chuck
I did buy the SC and consider it a driver, Not sure what you mean by significant rust? The car had accident damage to the front section of the right front fender repaired decades ago and it was obviously done to a low standard of the time, which meant weld it up and apply bondo until it looks right. Someone also replaced the battery pan with a flat piece of steel at some point in the distant past. Otherwise just has some surface rust in spots on the pans were the undercoating came off over the years and is quite solid. There is a brown dirt film on the pan that is unattractive (might look like rust to some people), but should come off with a thorough cleaning on my lift.

I've owned Smyrna 356's and Irish green 356's and I prefer Smyrna. This car should be Irish Green, but looks like a too dark Smyrna to me. My 356's are always the original color and this one will be someday too. But in the meantime - I like it.

Kardex is on it's way and I suspect it had a black interior, but hoping for tan. Whatever it was is what it will be someday again. There are several other things that I will be attending to and will keep you posted.

I decided long before the auction ended what I was willing to pay for this car and was pleasantly surprised when I got for a bit less than I was prepared to pay. Fresh original engine, strong transaxle, rebuilt front end and fresh brakes make it a great driver for now!

Ashley James
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ashley James »

Well done Larry, looks a lovely car, a good colour and very good buy to this UK based enthusiast. I hope you have lots of fun with it. I’m just a little envious.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#8 Post by Doug McDonnell »

So Larry Did you drive the 600 miles home yet? If so on the 12 year old tires? This car reminded me of the 65 SC I bought in 85. Lap welded nose, spider web of cracks but very nice mechanically. The nose was correctly butt welded back on when taken back to original Slate Grey. One of the nicest 356s I have owned.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#9 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Larry Brooks wrote:
Charles H Jacobus wrote:I was surprised that this SC which appeared to me as a "driver" could have brought $60,000. Appeared to have significant rust and needed a complete new paint job.

Thoughts?

Chuck
I did buy the SC and consider it a driver, Not sure what you mean by significant rust? The car had accident damage to the front section of the right front fender repaired decades ago and it was obviously done to a low standard of the time, which meant weld it up and apply bondo until it looks right. Someone also replaced the battery pan with a flat piece of steel at some point in the distant past. Otherwise just has some surface rust in spots on the pans were the undercoating came off over the years and is quite solid. There is a brown dirt film on the pan that is unattractive (might look like rust to some people), but should come off with a thorough cleaning on my lift.

I've owned Smyrna 356's and Irish green 356's and I prefer Smyrna. This car should be Irish Green, but looks like a too dark Smyrna to me. My 356's are always the original color and this one will be someday too. But in the meantime - I like it.

Kardex is on it's way and I suspect it had a black interior, but hoping for tan. Whatever it was is what it will be someday again. There are several other things that I will be attending to and will keep you posted.

I decided long before the auction ended what I was willing to pay for this car and was pleasantly surprised when I got for a bit less than I was prepared to pay. Fresh original engine, strong transaxle, rebuilt front end and fresh brakes make it a great driver for now!
Larry:
The way one of the bottom pictures was taken it looked like there could have been significant rust as the bottom transitioned up to the side. Glad it worked out well for you! I actually didn't know how much more the SCs were until someone pointed it out in Haggarty's.

Have a great time with it!

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

People get caught up a lot asking if the price paid for a car matches the market, at a given point. This only applies to cars for plans to re-sale. If it's a car you want and plan to keep, the actual price is more a consideration of your bank account than what the car is being perceived in value at that given time. I know I've probably over-paid for cars and parts when I wanted them, if it fits what you want the details of the price don't matter. It's like when the first question you get from people is "How much is your car worth?" gets annoying. I tell them it doesn't matter because I don't ever plan on selling it, so it truly is priceless.

In this case Larry has been around the 356 block enough times to know a good car when he sees it, and this one obviously tickled him in some way.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jim Alton »

The Bring a Trailer sale that surprised me was 1956 Porsche 356A European Coupe Project which was also discussed on this forum in 56 Coupe on BAT. It "SOLD ON 7/19/18 FOR $102,000"

Big money for a project car but the buyer knows more about 356 values than most of us.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#12 Post by Larry Brooks »

Kardex came this morning.

Very pleased that it is Matching engine, transaxle. Seller said it was, but always nice to verify.

Also is an Irish Green car, originally with a black interior.

Bit surprised that it was sold through Brumos to a member of the Haas family.
Attachments
Kardex 216544.jpg

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#13 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Did you already receive the car, Larry? Seems quick.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#14 Post by Larry Brooks »

There was a title issue that the owner needed to resolve before I removed the car from California. Heard from him yesterday and it appears to be resolved. In the meantime my neighbor offered to drive me there in his Tesla S and he will visit his daughters in Northern California. Hopefully this road trip won't end like our last road trip 10 years ago - clipped by a semi and spinning down the highway, on fire, in a Packard convertible that then burned to the ground.

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#15 Post by Larry Brooks »

Neighbor couldn't drive down so I towed the car home on Monday. I really wanted to drive it back and wish I had, but my wife was rather stressed out by the idea (unknown car - 600 miles). Interesting drive because of all of the forrest fires. Very smokey most of the way down. Smoke was especially bad coming home. It got so thick at one point that I was concerned they might close the road and send us back. Would have made a long days drive into a much longer one. Then it cleared up and we had blue skies from Mt Shasta on. I've included a picture at the Mt Shasta rest stop.

Car is a very solid California Black Plate car(has newer plates on it, but came with it's original plate too). Runs fantastic and drives great!
Attachments
64SC trailer.jpg
Last edited by Larry Brooks on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.