Original Spare

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Max Handley
356 Fan

Original Spare

#1 Post by Max Handley »

My 1959 cabriolet was one family owned. A very well preserved example. When looking at the spare today it occurred to me that it might be the original it left the factory with. It's a Dunlop gold seal which I believe to be a bias ply. The COA shows it was delivered with dunlops.

What say the tire guys ?

It's old but still very presentable, won't be used but cool none the less.
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

Re: Original Spare

#2 Post by Jan Kolm »

I believe the Dunlop Gold Seal was a U.S.-made tire. I bought a set for my VW in 1986. 6.00-15L was the only size still available at the time. They were a much better tire than the Goodyear Power Streak 78s that were on the car when I bought it.

The molds appear to date from the 1960s, with the government-mandated safety warnings and treadwear/traction/temperature ratings added later.

Look for "Made in U.S.A." and any other verbiage that wouldn't be found on a German-made tire from 1959.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Max Handley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Max Handley »

Jan no country listed on the tire. Here's some pictures with #'s etc, maybe someone can pinpoint its origin and date manufactured.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Gary Cox
356 Fan

#4 Post by Gary Cox »

“DOT” first appeared on tire sidewalls about 1968.
Gary Cox
Baton Rouge, LA

1958 356A Speedster
1967 912 (356D)

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jan Kolm »

Agree with Gary--your spare is no older than 1968.

However, the molds were designed for pre-1965 wide whitewalls, so there is that "cool" factor in having a period-accurate tread and sidewall design for your '59.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Max Handley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Max Handley »

Thanks Guys , much appreciated.

Here's a 1958 ad with what looks like the same tire.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Jack Styles
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jack Styles »

Road tires have a plant code of where they were built. Yours appears to be DAM9, (assuming it is a D), in which the first 2 letters correspond to a specific plant. DA corresponds to Dunlop Tire, Buffalo, NY.

Max Handley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Max Handley »

Thanks Jack

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#9 Post by Brad Ripley »

So, conclusion is that the tire is not the original spare. Original tires on the car would have been made in Germany.

Max Handley
356 Fan

#10 Post by Max Handley »

Good question Brad. Can’t find any info. If Porsche bought tires outside Germany to use on the cars built in the day. I suspect they did as Michelins made in France were also used on their cars. Not sure if Dunlop had a mfg. plant in Germany as they did in England.

Re my cab., I talked with Original owners son and he replaced the matching Dunlop’s on the car with later radial ply tires. ( late 80’s) and said the spare (one in question) was still in nice enough condition to keep as is. I’m trying to gather all the provenance on this car while I still can. One family owned , originally purchased in Long Beach Ca. The owners son said the car was stored in his dads garage ( L.A.) for 10 to 15 years before he brought it to Oregon ( late 80’s) where it was basically stored until he sold it to a vintage car dealer in L.A. Ca. ,2013. I’m the 1st registered owner outside the family.

Re your question I suspect the original Dunlop’s were replaced with same many years ago. Since the original Owner is deceased no way to get detailed info. Since someone said DOT wasn’t used before 1968 on the sidewalk that would suggest a replacement around that time period.

It also came with one of the original calif. black plates. I just discovered that the original yellow plates had to be turned in at years end in 1963 when the newer black plates replaced them.

George Alspaugh
356 Fan

#11 Post by George Alspaugh »

Max- One of the photos also identifies the tire as tubeless. As far as I know, all tires used by Porsche in 1958 were tube type. Hope this helps.

George

Max Handley
356 Fan

#12 Post by Max Handley »

Thanks George. Anyone out there have original Dunlop’s as supplied by the factory. Brad brings up the Point if Dunlop’s were Originals They would have been made In Germany. From my recent research I would agree. Dunlop had a plant in Hanau Germany established early on.
Some parts for these cars I believe were sourced in different countries . A few examples might be Zeniths ( England) ,Solexes ( France) so why not tires ?

Anyone have thoughts re same.

Roland Resos
356 Fan

#13 Post by Roland Resos »

I bought a new 64SC from the factory in 1964 and I had a choice of tires:

Conti Radial
Dunlop SP
Michelin X
Phoenix
Whitewall Phoenix Sport
Whitewall Veith Special

Regards,
Rolly

Max Handley
356 Fan

#14 Post by Max Handley »

Thanks for that info. Rolly. I just realized yesterday that when my Cab.was new I was 14 years old. Hardly even aware of Porsche existence then. Just occurred to me you must have been a very young Porsche owner in 64 . With that said it hardly seems possible that my 59Cab. Is that old, me on the other hand is another story.