Elevenparts LED taillight bulbs

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Edwin Ek
356 Fan

Elevenparts LED taillight bulbs

#1 Post by Edwin Ek »

Has anyone used these? They are simpler than the CU Layer setup. Probably cheaper too. But from the pictures, it appears the LED bulbs might be taller- maybe too tall. Elevenparts is in Switzerland, so logistics for a return could be more troublesome.
Attachments
MVC-003S Kopie-th.jpg
MVC-003S Kopie-th.jpg (4.44 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
Last edited by Edwin Ek on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Elevenparts LED taillight bulbs

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

Edwin Ek wrote:Has anyone used these? They seem simpler than the CU Layer setup. Probably cheaper too. But from the pictures, it appears the LED bulbs might be taller- maybe too tall. Elevenparts is in Switzerland, so logistics for a return could be more troublesome.
Have you asked Marco? He's selling them and I've always found him to be very easy to deal with, he probably has the info you seek.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Elevenparts is primarily a big volume wholesale distributor I believe Stoddard/Sierra Madre and AAse are among his retail outlets it may be easier for you to deal with them.
j

Donald Zingg
356 Fan

#4 Post by Donald Zingg »

Similar and from a supplier closer to the west coast - - -
https://www.ledlight.com/24-led-light-s ... sitve.aspx

Inexpensive and not much brighter than OEM 6 volt incandescent bulbs

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#5 Post by Spike Jones »

If they are indeed not much brighter than the original 6V bulbs, as Donald says, then the CU Layer setups are a no-brainer. Yes, they are not cheap, but consider what can happen when folks behind you can't see the dim taillights on most 356's.
They are MUCH brighter and therefore have to be much easier to see during the daytime,when most of us are driving our cars,and when way too many of those drivers behind us are texting and using other electronic devices.
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#6 Post by David Jones »

I have tried those LEDS and yes they are bright but LEDS throw put their brightest light from the top of the LED not the sides so unlike an LED the tungsten light bulbs throw light in all directions but also create lots of heat in the process and LEDS do not generate the same amount of heat while keeping the light directional. Those LEDS are not a good fit for a 356. I have used some that look the same as these on my parking lights inside the headlights for years. Very bright.
https://www.amazon.com/New-Generation-B ... s+led+bulb
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#7 Post by Paul Ahnell »

If you are looking for BRIGHT, Jeffrey Fellman's SMD (surface mounted display) lights are for you, 6V or 12V. See attached photo.
BRIGHTER than CU Layer IMHO and no gadgetry, electronic boards, etc. involved. Just unplug the incandescent bulb and plug in the SMD. When functioning, it looks just like a VERY BRIGHT incandescent bulb, not a bunch of little circles. I have 6: 2 front running/signal lights, 2 rear brake/signal, 2 rear running. All the same "bulb". I also use his SMD headlights. Jeffrey supplies a flasher for the signal lights but these things don't draw enough power to operate the signal display on your tach. You need to buy a grounded electronic flasher from one of our suppliers to operate the dash display, same as CU Layer I've heard. Did I mention these are VERY BRIGHT?
Attachments
SMD Tail light.JPG
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

PaulAhnell wrote:If you are looking for BRIGHT, Jeffrey Fellman's SMD (surface mounted display) lights are for you, 6V or 12V. See attached photo.
BRIGHTER than CU Layer IMHO and no gadgetry, electronic boards, etc. involved. Just unplug the incandescent bulb and plug in the SMD. When functioning, it looks just like a VERY BRIGHT incandescent bulb, not a bunch of little circles. I have 6: 2 front running/signal lights, 2 rear brake/signal, 2 rear running. All the same "bulb". I also use his SMD headlights. Jeffrey supplies a flasher for the signal lights but these things don't draw enough power to operate the signal display on your tach. You need to buy a grounded electronic flasher from one of our suppliers to operate the dash display, same as CU Layer I've heard. Did I mention these are VERY BRIGHT?
Yeah, they are bright!
Attachments
SMDlights.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mark Reich
356 Fan

#9 Post by Mark Reich »

David, are the bulbs you reference too tall for the turn signals?
Mark Reich
'61 T5B Super Coupe - Heron Grey
'18 911 Carrera - Miami Blue

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#10 Post by David Jones »

Mark they are single filament style bases so I guess in theory they can be used. I cannot remember why I did not use them for the turn/brake lights. May have had something to do with the blinker relay. I will have to revisit them. Also possible they were too tall.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mark Reich
356 Fan

#11 Post by Mark Reich »

Thanks, David. It would be nice to have a LED source for that application.
Mark Reich

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#12 Post by David Jones »

Mark. I went and looked and it appears that at least on my cabrio I put those LED's in the tail/brake turn lights and in the headlights on the coupe. Pictures attached and to show the difference I put a tungsten light bulb in the turn socket so you can see the difference. Not easy to synch my shutter with the turn signal either. By the way that is an all red tail light lens. The camera I think makes it look more yellow/amber. Not sure why I did not buy more but I should do the same on the coupe, though I better look first because it has been more than a few years since I did it and my memory has been questionable since my flirt with death. I may only need to buy two of them for the cabrio headlight parking bulbs.
Attachments
IMG_3409.jpg
IMG_3397.jpg
IMG_3396.jpg
IMG_3399.jpg
IMG_3394.jpg
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mark Reich
356 Fan

#13 Post by Mark Reich »

These look like the Jeffrey Feldman bulbs. The ones linked to Amazon look a bit taller, have more LEDs, and are significantly cheaper. I am going to check the measurements to see if the Amazon bulbs fit the B turn signals. I have CU Layer taillights already.

Thanks.
Mark Reich

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#14 Post by Mark Roth »

For best results with a LED bulb, you need to have the bulb the same color as the lens. The lights are so bright the white light overwhelms the red or amber. There are several red 6v bulbs on Amazon. You need LEDs on the top of the bulb as well as the sides. Added a plug in electronic flasher from Sierra Madre. No separate ground wire required. Just plug and play. Very satisfied with the results.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#15 Post by David Jones »

Mark, I appreciate your comment on the color of the LED's and I agree that in a perfect world that is the way to go. However when I got those bulbs they were all that was available other than the Cu Layer versions. I decided not to go that route because I have three cars and I did not want to pay out for 3 sets. I decided that the brightness of these lights overruled any color concerns and the extra light output should alert those behind regardless of colour compared to the feeble glow from the originals.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715