Front wheel bearing tightening

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Robert Reed
356 Fan

Front wheel bearing tightening

#1 Post by Robert Reed »

Hey Guys;
I was wondering if there might be a general rule of thumb for tightening front wheel bearings on a T6 with the roller bearings. I did find info on the older ball bearing drums but nothing on the later model cars.
Thanks for any direction on the subject.
Bob

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Front wheel bearing tightening

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

See Gerry McCarthy's advice here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31564
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

Same instructions. Snug it down with your fingers and then tighten it to the point where you can move the washer between the nut and the bearing with the blade of a screwdriver without too much resistance. One you have tightened the locking allen bolt spin the wheel and try rocking it top to bottom. If there is no movement and the wheel spins easily you should be good to go.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dan Epperly »

You should also always tighten the nut down as hard as you can first, and then back off and make the adjustment as mentioned above.

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#5 Post by Richard Shilling »

Tapered roller bearings do not mind being a little loose, but they do not like being too tight. I agree with all the tips above. Tighten the nut against the washer very tight to seat the bearings. Back off the nut until the washer slides easily from side to side. Tighten the nut. Wiggle the wheel from side to side and spin it a couple of times, it should rotate very freely.
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Robert Reed
356 Fan

#6 Post by Robert Reed »

David and Doug, I essentially did as y’all suggested and have driven the car. I then checked the temperature of all four drums and all measured within one degree of each other.
I may pop the caps again just to verify that the washers have some movement, as David suggested.
I don’t recall having tightened them up and then loosening as Dan suggested, hence a revisit.
Thank y’all for taking the time out of your day to answer.
Bob
Gotta go install new tach cable insert that Doug pointed me to now.