why have i never heard of this before "Flitz polish"

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ned Gorski
356 Fan

why have i never heard of this before "Flitz polish"

#1 Post by Ned Gorski »

I was polishing my aluminum bumperettes when i noticed some grit probably sand in my can of polish needless to say i tossed it out . so i started looking for another can of polish. and found inside one of my goodie bags from a past show .. a new tube if flits never heard of it , but figured it was worth a try.... i can honestly say its amazing my bumperettes have always looked a little foggy and never shined like chrome... i kid you not a little flitz on a old sock and very little rubbing it shined like a mirror as did all the other aluminum and chrome on my car. it also took the swirl marks out of my chrome shine down and my hub caps ... So what the down side to this stuff???? . This is one of those products that appear to good to be true..i love the stuff it is amazing plus its in a tube no chance of getting contaminated .

Regards Ned 55 Cab

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

Re: why have i never heard of this before "Flitz polish"

#2 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Thanks for the info, Ned.

Flitz has been around forever, but I've never tried it because I always figured it was so old school that something newer was probably much improved over the old stuff.

I'm going to put some in my cleaning bag now.

~ Jeff
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Tom Keating
356 Fan

#3 Post by Tom Keating »

I have been using Flitz for years. A few years ago I found a quart can at a flea market for $1.00. Great stuff. Works on metal and Glass boats. Also use Blue Magic. Tom Keating
Tom Keating
1964 356C Sunroof

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

There are three really good products I have found over the years for chrome and I am among the laziest auto polishers in the world. I wash and clean my cars when I am forced too.
My favorite is Solvol Autosol followed by Simichrome then Flitz because I have not used Flitz in a very long time. I think all three are made in Germany and I first used Solvol in Germany in the 60's.
Your experience may vary. I also have a pot of Mothers mag paste for full disclosure.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Randy Mittelstet
356 Fan

#5 Post by Randy Mittelstet »

It's also the best product I've found for clearing up the "plastic" rear window on my roadster.
It removed many years of buildup and yellowing without scratching or swirls. I saw where guys were using it on their plastic corvette finishes!
As usual, try it on a small area ..... Safety first.
Randy Mittelstet
Denver
1960 early Roadster

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jack Walter »

You guys have not hung around enough old motorcycles if you haven't heard of Flitz...

Another good one is Happich Simichrome - we used that for polishing all of the alloy bits on our European motorcycles.

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ned Gorski »

i just used it on my swf red blinker tip it went from looking black to a deep dark red . pretty cool stuff. blue hasn't looked this good in years.

Regards Ned

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Brad Ripley »

Go to https://www.flitz.com/
or to
for Simichrome http://www.competitionchemicals.com/

both products are sold just about everywhere or buy direct

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jim Alton »

Oh oh.

I make a point of staying far away from the miracle metal polish guys at swap meets--I'm not looking for a new religion.

That said, Flitz works well, as does Simichrome. Wenol's good, too. Flitz also had a following as a bore cleaner for target rifles.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#10 Post by Mike Horton »

The Flitz, and Semi-Chrome, are what we used the most polishing on all metal small aircraft, and propeller spinners,
Mike