auto sale

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Brown
356 Fan
Tag: Ignorant Porsche Consumer

Re: auto sale

#31 Post by Jim Brown »

C J Murray wrote:You all need to read this. Basically the best way to avoid taxes is to die. Our government, R or D, is a smoke and mirrors organization. When a plan is this complicated you can be certain that you are being played for a sucker.

https://www.sportscarmarket.com/columns ... collectors
dying will save taxes provided the value of the car is within your federal exemption. If it's not, then dying will yield the highest taxes. If the car (after your death) will be subject to estate tax, and the estate has sufficient liquidity to pay, then at least your heirs get the new market (step up) value as their cost basis going forward.

Taxes suck

C J Murray
356 Fan

#32 Post by C J Murray »

I'm comfortably under the $22 million threshold for estate taxes. :(

Herman Cain... 999!!! But, how would they charge the lobbyists for preferential treatment?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#33 Post by Martin Benade »

It is said that owing tax is a good problem to have. I don't enjoy paying taxes, but I am willing to do it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

chris romney
356 Fan

#34 Post by chris romney »

In my opinion, tax laws change frequently enough that it makes sense to revisit current tax laws at least every 5 years. The current arrangement is particularly unfair for several reasons. 1: You are not allowed to take a loss on a car you sell for less than you paid for it. Since the government knows most cars depreciate, they have no interest in allowing you to offset gains with cars sold at a loss. It would simply be too expensive. They prefer to have it both ways and just cherry pick the small number that actually appreciate. 2: The cost of insurance, maintenance etc. aren't included in your cost basis, even though they are in fact, real, hard costs to you the owner, thereby overstating your gain if there is indeed one. 3: If you are a long term, multi-decade owner as many Registry members are, your gain is an illusion. If your cost basis were to be inflation adjusted, at a minimum your gain would be smaller, and in many cases there would be no gain at all. A much more reasonable solution would be to allow you to take gains much like you can on residences ($250k if you're single, $500k if you're married) with certain limitations and requirements. I guess this shows we need a stronger car lobby, much like the insurance industry (all benefits are tax free) or the mortgage and home building industries. My $.02.

Thomas Tuccillo
356 Fan

#35 Post by Thomas Tuccillo »

thx for all the advice guys, as well as the humor! tom

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#36 Post by David Jones »

To quote Monty Python, "look on the bright side of life" Once your dead you really won't give a shxte about taxes or your car. Someone else's problem.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Steven Murray
356 Fan

#37 Post by Steven Murray »

I wondered if you could ease the hit by selling an appreciating car with some highly depreciated ones as a total collection. So if you have a 356 that you paid $10k for and a 996 that you paid $70K for and sell the 2 car collection for $90K NOW you only made $10k. That would be clever.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#38 Post by Al Zim »

Two taxation entities are usually present: State income tax (not in Texas) and federal tax remember you live in the land of he free! My assistant who has done taxes for years ans very successfully manages our accounts has stated that this is a hobby not a business. She states that you should take the money and put in the bank it is your money since you are not doing a business. That is what I intend to do with my cars. al zim 2018/08/09
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#39 Post by Martin Benade »

Based on her advice, is giving tax advice her hobby, not her business?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Steven Murray
356 Fan

#40 Post by Steven Murray »

neilbardsley wrote: No caps gains tax on cars in the UK :)
Nice!, unless you have dual UK , USA citizenship. Then I heard you still have to pay uncle SAM.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#41 Post by David Jones »

So if I export my cars to the UK and gift them to my son and move back there to drive them or let him sell them I am home free? How do I account for the money in my bank account or do I put the money in a UK bank account the take a monthly payment? Sounds like it may be a plan.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#42 Post by Mark Roth »

Who besides the buyer and seller knows what the car sold for?
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#43 Post by Ron LaDow »

David Jones wrote:So if I export my cars to the UK and gift them to my son and move back there to drive them or let him sell them I am home free? How do I account for the money in my bank account or do I put the money in a UK bank account the take a monthly payment? Sounds like it may be a plan.
If you hold US citizenship, it not only won't work, it will be a miserable and costly experience: The IRS will collect that tax at the minimum. If you did so in a way the IRS could even possibly claim was an intentional attempt to avoid taxation, well that minimum is a distant wish.
The IRS requires foreign banks to report on accounts held by US citizens, supposedly to keep them from contributing to terrorists. The reporting requirements are (claimed to be) onerous, meaning that most foreign banks do not want deposits from US ex-pat citizens, including those with 'adequate' assets. The IRS does so simply by denying banking reciprocity between foreign and US banks if such reports are not provided. You'll forgive me for guessing it has less to do with terrorism and more to do with revenue.
As an example, an acquaintance who owns property near to the US Embassy in London, and holds funds in London and the US banks, must communicate with his London bank via written records only, even if he walks in the door to discuss matters with a clerk or a bank officer. Obviously, the bank provides a stenographer in his case, but prolly not for me if I tried to hide US$(several hundred)K in an English bank.
CJ, I'm not on the left here, just willing to admit that bell has been rung and not willing to run my life in the hopes I can sneak around it without penalty.
Which does not assume I look for ways to pay taxes, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#44 Post by Adam Wright »

Mark Roth wrote:Who besides the buyer and seller knows what the car sold for?
Anyone tracking the money. Any deposit in your bank account over $10,000 and the IRS gets a report, the same when it leaves, just ask Eliot Spitzer, he knows.

So if you sell your car and take a check or a bank wire, the bank and the Government is going to know what you sold it for. And if you get tricky and try and deposit a bunch of smaller checks, the bank reports that too.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#45 Post by Ron LaDow »

Mark Roth wrote:Who besides the buyer and seller knows what the car sold for?
Unless you put the money under the bed or buried in a coffee can in the back yard, probably your bank, which is under federal requirements to report your deposit.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz