Groves cut into the crankshaft main journals

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Doug Thomson
356 Fan

Re: Groves cut into the crankshaft main journals

#31 Post by Doug Thomson »

Hello Olivier,
I enjoyed your article in the 356 Porsche club France , “C’ est français, oui Monsieur”. I had to use Google translator. I think it did a pretty good job.
Doug Thomson

Doug Thomson
356 Fan

#32 Post by Doug Thomson »

The Big bore cylinders, 86mm, which came with this motor have aluminum fins with cast iron liners. They have a raised TP cast on one side and a 2 on the other. Does anyone know the manufacture? Also they have an unusual wear pattern for me. It looks like the oil scrapers under the piston pins are a little too aggressive? You can still see the cross hatching from the honing where the compression rings travel unlike where the oil scrapers travel. Also there is a slight ridge at the height of the oil scraper's travel, not all the way around though.
Attachments
IMG_1672.JPG
Doug Thomson

Olivier Auvray
356 Fan

#33 Post by Olivier Auvray »

Doug Thomson wrote:Hello Olivier,
I enjoyed your article in the 356 Porsche club France , “C’ est français, oui Monsieur”. I had to use Google translator. I think it did a pretty good job.
Thank you! But this article was in the registry magazine too (In English of course)!

Doug Thomson
356 Fan

#34 Post by Doug Thomson »

Hi Olivier,

I am sorry I missed your article in the registry magazine. When I did a search for your business your article in French came up.
Doug Thomson

DonCichocki
356 Fan

#35 Post by DonCichocki »

Off topic.
Doug, I too have these "TP"cylinder/piston sets. They were installed late 1979 according to the old paperwork I have. I inquired here many years ago as to the brand but got no response. I switched to Shasta P&C's as the engine needed a rebuild when I bought it.
Attachments
DSCF0315.JPG
DSCF0316.JPG