hard braking, drum brake shoe glazing & cracks

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Donald Pirch
356 Fan

hard braking, drum brake shoe glazing & cracks

#1 Post by Donald Pirch »

I posted the hard braking forum subject, and thanks for your replies as these should result in a repair that works.

However, when I inspected the two front wheel brakes I also noted that brake shoes on both sides were glazed and had spider web type small cracks everywhere. Deglazing shoe brake surface with an abrasive wire brush had no impact, so I replaced shoes on both sides.

MY QUESTIONS ARE: To what extent can these brake shoe surfaces be repaired/deglazed to allow re-use? The new shoes I installed are a little glazed now with less than 100-miles of use. What is the best repair method to allow them to be put back into service? I'll inspect rear brake shoes next, and if glazed badly will replace them.

Don Pirch
1960 356B coupe
Attachments
condition of pass side brake shoe A.jpg
condition of pass side brake shoe A.jpg
Donald E. Pirch

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

Re: hard braking, drum brake shoe glazing & cracks

#2 Post by John Lindstrom »

Glazed after only 100 miles?

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

They get pretty smooth from use. Are you sure there is a problem? If the drums are perfect and you have driven a few hundred miles, they should be good, in spite of your feeling like they are too shiny. If you must deglaze them, which I doubt, use sandpaper. Assuming they have asbestos in them, a wire brush gets it airborne, which you don't want. Sandpaper is also not a totally healthy thing to use here, but not extremely bad.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Donald Pirch
356 Fan

#4 Post by Donald Pirch »

No, just show a very small amount of wear after less than 100 miles, minor surface glazing on new shoes.

The shoes I took off with heavy glazing were the result of very hard braking over the last several months. Thanks for your suggestion, as sanding the surface is what I had in mind.

Don
Donald E. Pirch

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

If it is able to stop acceptably, I would refrain from looking at the shoe surface and drive it for a couple of months, I suspect everything is fine. The hard use your old shoes got was what they were designed for.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna