1957 356A T1 Newbie Engine Advice Please

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
J Warren
356 Fan

1957 356A T1 Newbie Engine Advice Please

#1 Post by J Warren »

Hey guys,
I am new to the 356 world and have enjoyed reading the forum for the past 6 months. It has saved me some headache for sure. I purchased a 1957 356A T1 Normal Coupe that I plan on my young teenage son and I to bond over while restoring it( still waiting for that part to start). I figure at least its not a video game and we both may learn something. Anyway more about the car. It came from Arizona via California ( I am in the Panhandle of Florida). The story was it in storage to be restored since the 1970's while in Arizona. I bought it from a friend in Georgia who has about 6 or 7 of them he planned to restore. Basically too many cars and not enough time. It has very little rust, original pans, original engine, and was originally a black car. Its a very complete car and I am excited about restoring it.
Now to the question. After reading multiple instructions via this forum, we pulled the engine. It actually went fairly easily. I have a bracket for the engine that fits my engine stand on the way. I have rebuilt US engines in the past but am very hesitant about attempting the mechanicals on this engine. Are there any new books/manuals on the engine rebuild available? I have read multiple forum post dating all the way back to 2008 with most of the older recommendations no longer easily available and manuals that were anticipated highly around 2015 or so ( Block?) unable to be located during my search. I really want a good step by step instruction guide so that I can determine if this is something I want us both to tackle. I already own multiple books including the workshop manual, parts manual, etc...
Being that I have limited experience rebuilding US motors, would it be reasonable to send the case/internals off to have the mechanicals machined with me doing the assembly?
Does anyone recommend a shop close to the Tallahassee area for engine rebuild?
Also I included a picture of the engine. Is this an Abarth exhaust? Does it look shot? Should I just toss it in the scrap heap? I finished a restoration on a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger a few years ago and regretted more than once throwing a few pieces away
Thank you in advance for all of your opinions and advice.
J
IMG_2182.jpg

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: 1957 356A T1 Newbie Engine Advice Please

#2 Post by David Jones »

I think that muffler is shot and a new one is in the cards but that may be a while in the future. I would suggest you get in to the restoration and put the engine build on the back burner while you learn more about the 356. The engine is thee last thing you are going to need. Call Bill Block of Block books and ask him about the engine build books. If you already have experience building engines and you obviously have the aptitude then you should have no trouble as long as you get good machine work done. Just ask here for answers to questions, there is still a wealth of knowledge on the forum. Not all the old farts are life expired yet.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Since you are in the Panhandle you might want to contact Steve Hatfield for advice also regarding machine shops etc in your area.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

J Warren
356 Fan

#4 Post by J Warren »

Thank you David for the info. Reading and researching what I am getting into has been my plan all along. Kind of a long look before I jump. I will give Mr Block a call and hopefully that will be what I am looking for.
J

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Lindstrom »

It may simply need to be taken apart, corrosion cleaned up, oiled and put back together. That is all that I basically did to my original 59 normal engine, now it starts right up and runs like new. It had been sitting since 1978.

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

#6 Post by Tim Berardelli »

J.

If you are within traveling distance of Orlando contact Sid Collins @ Troysport. He speaks fluent 356!

Tim Berardelli

J Warren
356 Fan

#7 Post by J Warren »

Awesome! Thanks guys. It seems almost all the vintage Porsche guys are on the West coast. Its good to see there are a few here in the East. I am 3 hours or so from Orlando ( much closer than California) so that may work out nicely.
J

Al Zim
356 Fan

#8 Post by Al Zim »

I looked carefully to see if you really had a 1957 engine but that was difficult to do since I was unable to see the oil filter and the carburetors. If the engine is a matching number to the car, a put together rather than blueprinting the engine could result in a significant loss in value of the 356 if the engine fails. Camshaft wear, the lifters being flat, the connecting rods being oversize on the big end, the discrepancy introduced by the 502 rods, you need to have and interference fit between the valve guides and the head this usually requires hand fitting oversize valve guides after carefully measuring the head. The guides will need to be properly reamed. A fluted hone is not adequate for this service. The valve stems are usually worn closer to the head of the valve which causes higher oil consumption, this will usually require valve replacement. All the electrics need to be rebuilt. You still have sheet metal, exhaust system, lower air channels, a muffler to replace. This is why you need to find a shop that has experience with these engines go there and look at their work. al zim Zim's Autotechnik 800.356.2964
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/