Ignition switch gremlins

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Harry Rose
356 Fan

Ignition switch gremlins

#1 Post by Harry Rose »

After my 65 SC sat for several weeks (Optima battery on a regular charger) the car did not crank.
Checked the battery and it had over 6 volts. Since the ignition switch was very old, I bought a new one and replaced it. Same result. Cleaned every connection front to back. Same result. Finally had the battery tested and its bad. Great!
Replaced the battery, tested with old switch. Starter starts cranking on the "on" position! Same with the new switch! When I turn it to "start" it keeps on cranking. Unless previous owner replaced the black wire with a red wire and vise Versa, I think I've got it wired right. What did I do wrong?!

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Ignition switch gremlins

#2 Post by David Jones »

You definitely have the wire to the solenoid in the wrong connector. You are correct it is the black one and it goes in the terminal #50 opposite to the three reds in #30.
See this picture.
http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/Ig ... 19102.html
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Harry Rose
356 Fan

Re: Ignition switch gremlins

#3 Post by Harry Rose »

Feeling a bit like the south end of a horse's anatomy. I had the black wire that belongs in the #15 receptical on the switch plugged in to #50 and vice versa. Should've noticed the difference in the diameter of the wires. All well! Thanks!