CU Layer Bee Hive

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
George Walling
356 Fan

CU Layer Bee Hive

#1 Post by George Walling »

I'm having problems contacting CU Layer and would like to know if the lights come in a pair ( single contact ) when ordering for the price and then a pair for the double contact or is it priced out as each bulb. these will be going in my 55 pre a speedster. appreciate any insight on these lights from folk that have used them.
Thanks
George E Walling

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: CU Layer Bee Hive

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Jim is usually very easy to contact. I would wonder if maybe he is on vacation?Did you try calling him?
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

George Walling
356 Fan

#3 Post by George Walling »

Doug, no I never tried to phone him will try that Monday. Thanks
George E Walling

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Karaba »

Let us know what you find out. I too have wondered that but unfortunately I think the answer will be each not a pair.

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#5 Post by Tom Coughlin »

George: I had a minor problem with the height of the LED in contact with the pre-A low beehive lens. It was a few years ago so add that to your list of questions if you have the shorter lenses.
 KTF, member #15

George Walling
356 Fan

#6 Post by George Walling »

I received a e-mail from James @ CU Layer and he recommended to use only the dual filament LED BA15D for the turn and brake lights, his feeling was that using the LED single and dual filament bulbs that this would over power the lights and some drivers may think that you are braking or not see that you are braking when the brake or turn signal is activated. He also stated that he had not had any report of a clearance problem with the bulbs and the lens on the bee hive. He did not state that the price was a pair or for single bulbs but I think that from what he stated it implied it was for a pair of either the single or dual filament bulbs. I'm not a expert on the bee hive lights so I don't know what the difference is in the height of the bee hive lens so not sure what lens are on my 55 Speedster the tall or short might be that Porsche used one of the coupe and a short one on the speedster. maybe some one here knows the difference and can post the measurements. I'm calling James this next week with these question and will post what I find out. thanks Tom for your input, and if you know the different in the size of the lens please in lighten me.
George E Walling

David Green
356 Fan

#7 Post by David Green »

I use Jim's brake LEDs on both my '59 and '53 and wouldn't drive without them after a big-rig drive stopped me to tell me my brake lights were out when they were just the OEM bulbs.
The CU Layer LEDs don't fit under my '53 beehive lenses as the lenses are a little to short. I spoke with Jim and he told me he used a later beehive to dimension the LED board. Fortunately I have a pair of '54 lenses that are just a bit taller and fit over his LEDs. I drive with these and put on the '53 lenses/bulbs for shows where authenticity is important but avoid driving much with them.
Finally, on my '59 the LED wouldn't draw enough current to operate the flasher. A number of vendors sell electronic flashers but the one from Sierra Madre is plug-and-play without the need to attach a ground wire.
Regards,
David
Attachments
1953 - CuLayer Stop Light LEDs copy.JPG

George Walling
356 Fan

#8 Post by George Walling »

David, would you happen to know the difference between the 53 and your 59 bee hive lens or would you be willing to post the depth difference. I would like to measure the depth of my bee hives on my 55 to determine if they are the short or tall bee hive lens before I jump in purchasing the led bulbs from CU Layer bee hive bulbs.
Thanks for any help
George
George E Walling

David Green
356 Fan

#9 Post by David Green »

George,
Perfect timing! I'm showing the car during Monterey Car Week at The Quail as part of their 70th Anniversary of the Porsche 356 and will be swapping out the LEDs/beehives for the originals in the next few days and will post photos and measurements.
David

George Walling
356 Fan

#10 Post by George Walling »

David, That would be great, thanks so very much. Good luck at Monterey and enjoy the show.
George
George E Walling

James Franzen
356 Fan

#11 Post by James Franzen »

The price given on the website is for a single high-power BA15-HP LED emitter product.

If I tried to compete with the Chinese products on price while being a US manufacturer in a niche market I likely would only be able to make something with about the same brightness level but at twice the price.

The BA15-HP uses three high-power LED emitters, an optical collimator, a custom designed and fabricated heat sink and more than two dozen components to drive the three LED emitters on a printed circuit board so small that it requires automated machinery to place and solder the components. Subsequently I have to hand assemble the major components to a bulb base.

I always recommend only buying a pair for use in the brake light positions as that helps ease their expense. Installing two more BA15-HPs in the running lamp positions would mean that at night your brake lights would only turn on at the same intensity as the adjacent running lamps which might mitigate the sense of urgency you would like to instill in the driver behind you.

The satisfaction guarantee protects you in the event you find the BA15-HP's performance to be unworthy of the expense or if there should be a physical contention issue with your beehive lenses.

Jim
Attachments
ba15-hp.jpg
James Franzen
Cu Layer Inc.

George Walling
356 Fan

#12 Post by George Walling »

Well I see James answered most of are questions we had. The issue of bulb clearance and the lens maybe a issue but he hadn't heard of any and if there was he would refund and pay the return shipment. He made the bulb using a new light lens he purchased from a 356 vender so is sure it was probably a repo lens. David has a 53 with the shorter lens and is being kind enough to measure them and then the taller lens on his 54 with that information I and maybe others can compare there lens height to the measurements David posts before we order the bulbs saving everyone time and money. Thank James for helping solve are question and providing such great customer service and also David for taking the time to measure his lens when he returns from Monterey show and sharing it with us.
George
George E Walling

David Green
356 Fan

#13 Post by David Green »

I changed out the lenses and bulbs today and took measurements. The '54s are approximately 35mm from base (with rubber gasket) to tip and the '53s are 31mm. See photos.
What ever it takes, make them work as they're an important safety improvement.
David
Attachments
IMG_1363.JPG
IMG_1362.JPG
Beehive Heights.JPG

George Walling
356 Fan

#14 Post by George Walling »

David, thanks so very much I will get mine off and measure them. I agree make them work and I will what ever it takes. I believe just from looking that I believe I will find my lens are the taller model. at any rate I will find out. I and I'm sure some others appreciate you taking time to measure yours and posting it.
Thanks so very much and have a great rest of the summer weather and have a great time at Monterey show.

George
George E Walling