POR15

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bill Lawless
356 Fan

Re: POR15

#16 Post by Bill Lawless »

David Jones wrote:I have a large can of POR15 I have been using for a few years. I drill a small hole in the lid and use a self tapper to seal it when done. I use small plastic pots like those used in restaurants for stuff like dips, perfect size to use on the usual parts that get painted as the POR15 goes a long way. I use acid brushes which are cheap enough to throw away after one use.
Interesting... I bought a large can also..
However, I talked to POR tech.. They said it really needs to be stirred for 4-5 min before using.. And do NOT shake it, will cause air bubbles that will cause it to fail... ???

Bill
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#17 Post by David Jones »

John Lindstrom, please contribute something constructive to the forum. You remind me of a boss I once had who often found fault with my projects but could never come up with any alternative suggestions more specific than "I don't like it"
Sorry, not a flame just an observation.
POR15 has it's limitations. It is UV sensitive I understand so it should not be used where it is exposed to sunlight. I have never tested it on stuff left in the sun so do not know the effect.
Bill I have always shaken it before taking the self tapper out and then pour it into a small pot and have never noticed bubbles in it but then I brush it on and it is so thin it seems to just settle out and dries to a smooth gloss finish.
Last edited by David Jones on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#18 Post by Bill Lawless »

David Jones wrote:John Lindstrom, please contribute something constructive to the forum. You remind me of a boss I once had who often found fault with my projects but could never come up with any alternative suggestions more specific than "I don't like it"
Sorry, not a flame just an observation.
POR15 has it's limitations. It is IR sensitive I understand so it should not be used where it is exposed to sunlight. I have never tested it on stuff left in the sun so do not know the effect.
Bill I have always shaken it before taking the self tapper out and then pour it into a small pot and have never noticed bubbles in it but then I brush it on and it is so thin it seems to just settle out and dries to a smooth gloss finish.
I'm sure it settles.. Just saying what they told me..
now i'm nervous it won't stick well... Way to much work to have it peel off..
Bill
BTW, i'm only doing the underside and undercoating over it...
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#19 Post by David Jones »

Bill, I think the underside is a perfect application as sun don't shine down there and as it dries hard as nails I don't think you need to top coat it but that could be a personal preference.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#20 Post by Martin Benade »

The sun makes it get dull dark gray, but it still seems like it holds up pretty well, just doesn't look as nice.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Bill Romano
356 Fan

#21 Post by Bill Romano »

If you apply POR15 on a hot/humid day, it'll bubble. Instructions clearly identify potential problem so don't blame POR15 for that "sandy" surface.

If applied on unprepared surface (should be sand blasted or sanded to give POR15 some tooth) it will simply flake off.

If you don't use saran wrap between lid and can after opening, you'll never get the cap off again.

It really flows during and after application. While brush marks disappear, you'll get runs if you don't figure out how to avoid gravity.
Bill Romano

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#22 Post by Jim Liberty »

I do it like Mike Wilson. Have for decades. ....................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#23 Post by Jack Walter »

I scraped and wire brushed the surface on the inside of my car and then used grey POR15 and top-coated it with black chassis paint. It turned out really nice but if you get POR15 on your skin it will be with you for a week or two.

For the Land Rover I'm restoring I had the frame sandblasted, applied a chemical etch, then POR15 black and black chassis topcoat. I'm a big fan of the stuff but like all materials it has to be applied correctly. I spent 30 years at Lockheed working with applying coatings to aircraft so I know a bit about corrosion and material applications. POR15 is good stuff.
Attachments
frame8-09-2.jpg
IMG_0980.JPG
IMG_0975.JPG

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#24 Post by Martin Benade »

It is important to topcoat POR15 rather soon, I think while it is half-dry or nothing will stick to it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#25 Post by David Jones »

Let there be no more questions on POR15. It is good stuff I swear.
https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Technical- ... ep_62.html
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#26 Post by John Lindstrom »

I wouldn’t reccomend it. There are many quality products out there. POR 15 isn’t one of them.

This is the first thing I put over prepared bare metal after etching it mildly with phosphoric acid and rinsing it:

https://protective.sherwin-williams.com ... oduct-6808

I follow it with a couple coats of 2k polyurethane primer sealer.

After that you can leave the car outside for a hundred years without worrying about rust.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#27 Post by Mike Wilson »

Those are some good tips. Thanks, John.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe