Front Hood won't open

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Robert Janusz
356 Fan

Front Hood won't open

#1 Post by Robert Janusz »

In an attempt to adjust my front hood to improve the gaps, I closed it completely and now it won't release or open. I feel it's mounted too far rearward and hung up on the hood release housing or bracket. Any advise other than a crowbar would be appreciated. Thanks

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

Re: Front Hood won't open

#2 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Robert - what year car? Where are you located?

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Robert, if the regular hood release cable isn't working, there should be an emergency hood release wire coming our of the battery box area inside the driver's side front wheel well.
Try pulling on that wire while someone pulls and pushes up and down on the hood.
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#4 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

You will need a helper like Dan said.
You or him should pull the cable release while the other tries to open the hood.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

If it is your 62 there should be a removable rubber plug in the drivers side battery box wall for access. Do a Google search for "Porsche 356 hood stuck" Lots of links with hints. You are not the first and won't be the last with this problem.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#6 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Take a pair of lock pliers and pull back on the hood release as far as it will go, now, using the pliers, clamp the release in place. Now you can try jiggling and pulling on the hood. If lucky, it may pop open. Sometimes even some pounding on the hood surface with open palms helps 'pursued' the mechanism to free itself. It may take a while.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

Along with the other applied forces mentioned, hitting the hood handle sideways with your hand is worth a try.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#8 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Geoff Fleming wrote:Take a pair of lock pliers and pull back on the hood release as far as it will go, now, using the pliers, clamp the release in place. Now you can try jiggling and pulling on the hood. If lucky, it may pop open. Sometimes even some pounding on the hood surface with open palms helps 'pursued' the mechanism to free itself. It may take a while.
Try this in the upper corners of the hood as it will apply upward pressure at the front where the latch is located.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#9 Post by David Jones »

If it is a "C" car you can remove the release knob and let the cable go and it will open the release mechanism all the way hopefully releasing the hood lock completely.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Vic Skirmants »

The problem is usually a misalignment of the male part and the latch; the "male" hangs up on the side.

Robert Janusz
356 Fan

#11 Post by Robert Janusz »

Thanks all for suggestions. I've tried most already including clamping hood release open. It's a 1960 B coupe in Grand Haven, MI. Problem seems to be that the hood is now located too far rearward and post hangs up on the bracket.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

The rear wall of your battery box MAY have a removable panel that would allow access to pry up on the stuck male end. If so it wold require drilling out screws but wouldn't ruin the whole area. https://www.stoddard.com/64450103200.html
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#13 Post by Jim Liberty »

This is of no help for this particular problem. Just a heads up. I always install a secondary pull on both the hood and engine lid. Bring a sturdy wire in a piece if fuel line from the release mechanism through the battery box, and rear inner fender. Left side of course. I use an after market hood release part with a Black knob. JB weld it all securely. The concourse judges have never found these. ..................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#14 Post by Jon Schmid »

Jim Liberty wrote:This is of no help for this particular problem. Just a heads up. I always install a secondary pull on both the hood and engine lid. Bring a sturdy wire in a piece if fuel line from the release mechanism through the battery box, and rear inner fender. Left side of course. I use an after market hood release part with a Black knob. JB weld it all securely. The concourse judges have never found these. ..................Jim.
Hi Jim,
I used a length of sheathed cable looped through the left side access hole and around the hood release arm, slid a nice sized fender washer onto the cable, then joined the cable ends with a crimp ferrule. Works like a charm and since my car is not show worthy, I never have to worry about snoopy judges. :wink:

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#15 Post by David Jones »

When my "A" was being painted the shop managed to do the same thing. Fortunately the spare wheel was not in place so they cut out a section of the trunk floor and were able to access the latch and free it. That may be a better option for you even if the spare is in place because you could cut out the whole trunk floor and it can be repaired and probably done in such a way that nobody but you and all us on the forum would ever know you did it. Better by far than cutting in to the hood or painted bodywork.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715