CRUNCH!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
George Hussey
356 Fan

Re: CRUNCH!

#16 Post by George Hussey »

after all of these years one would think that the cars would be spared this kind of abuse. This fear is one of the reasons I hardly drive mine anymore. PLUS the expense of repairing them correctly, and the fact that they have now been damaged, deceasing the value. No matter how good the repair, the car will never be as good as before an accident.
George Hussey

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#17 Post by Adam Wright »

George Hussey wrote:after all of these years one would think that the cars would be spared this kind of abuse. This fear is one of the reasons I hardly drive mine anymore. PLUS the expense of repairing them correctly, and the fact that they have now been damaged, deceasing the value. No matter how good the repair, the car will never be as good as before an accident.
My rule is never have a dog or a car you are afraid of. Having a Porsche and not driving it is silly, sell it, let someone else enjoy it. And hug your dog!
Attachments
0.jpg
drive356-11.JPG
dolokiss.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#18 Post by Dan Epperly »

I got a call from the dudes insurance. He's not responding to their attempts to contact him so far, but they are proceeding. They are supposed to send out an estimator or whatever soon. Should be interesting.
I will be looking for a shop in San Diego that can repair it correctly. My biggest concern is that it affected the body line at the decklid, I now have an over bite on the left corner that wasn't there before. A friend of mine came by and we surmised that the guy literally ran over the back quarter pushing it down, and in, causing the damage.
I also don't want to buy a repro rear bumper blade so hopefully I can find a good straight red one used to match the beautiful concour finish.

Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

#19 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

Every time that I drive this little beauty I use roads/streets that I know I have room to "escape" idiots! That said, if something bad happens...

IMG_1324 (2).JPG

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#20 Post by Steve Proctor »

Dan, was the damage enough that it could have bent the tub?? If so, should go on a Celette bench to check it and restore alignment. Don't know who in San Diego has one with 356 fittings. There is a good shop in the Phoenix area that does.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#21 Post by Dan Epperly »

Steve Proctor wrote:Dan, was the damage enough that it could have bent the tub?? If so, should go on a Celette bench to check it and restore alignment. Don't know who in San Diego has one with 356 fittings. There is a good shop in the Phoenix area that does.

Hi Steve,
No the tub went unscathed. It's all sheet metal damage. The exception possibly being the decklid lip which was forced down when the downward force of the impact hit. I'm not sure how they will repair that. You can't get between the tub and the outer metal it's too narrow, at least not with any of my tools. Maybe a good shop has some way of countering the force and making it all go back into alignment.
I'm waiting to hear from their adjuster and then I will take it to some local shops, I have two down the street and go from there.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#22 Post by Dan Epperly »

Here are some better pix, especially of the decklid area that concerns me.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#23 Post by Adam Wright »

You can probably get away with sectioning the bumper, would save more of the patina. I'll check to see if I have a comparable red.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#24 Post by Ned Gorski »

your in a tough spot obviously your car has the patina look.. so whats the plan ? full repaint ? cant just do the rear quarter it will look ridiculous...

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#25 Post by Dan Epperly »

o
Ned Gorski wrote:your in a tough spot obviously your car has the patina look.. so whats the plan ? full repaint ? cant just do the rear quarter it will look ridiculous...
I just want them to push the metal out and get it back to where it was. I have no plan to paint it anytime soon.
Adam that would be cool if you can find a bumper I can use and deco strip.

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#26 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

My first car after I had a permanent job was a '63 B (below) which I bought used after I graduated from Officer Candidate School (OCS) in August 1967. I was married September 2, '67 and in October that year I was driving in downtown Columbus, GA right after a rain. We were downtown on a 4 lane road doing 25 MPH when a lady who was stopped on one of the side streets, decided to cut across the main road we where traveling on. I slammed on the brakes, but we just slid and hit the side of her car which was now well into the intersection. The result (after removing the bumper) is below.

The police arrived and she told them it was my fault because she had stopped at the stop sign. The police reminded her that she had a stop sign and we did not. She still didn't understand. He sited her and it turns out she didn't have any insurance. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. She lost her license. My insurance paid and I got my deductible back 2 years later. :-)

The fact the car had been in an accident bothered me and in January the following year after I had arrived in Flight School and we were getting some work done on the 356 I saw a '66 911 at that dealership, drove it, loved it and bought it on the spot.

Chuck
Attachments
1963 356B Porsche crunch002.jpg
1963 356B Porsche005.jpg
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#27 Post by Martin Bruechle »

I'll check tomorrow in the garage rafters. I have about 6 B - C bumpers all with some damage but might have something or a splice like Adam said.
in So Cal, Redondo Beach.

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#28 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Chuck: Thank God for USAA! Why did we all look so skinny after OCS? Muscle, blood, skin & bone.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#29 Post by Steve Proctor »

USAA now offers collector car insurance through American Collectors, I believe it is. Anyone have experience with them?
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#30 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

PaulAhnell wrote:Chuck: Thank God for USAA! Why did we all look so skinny after OCS? Muscle, blood, skin & bone.
Paul:
Could it have to do with running to class sites several miles away every day with a pack a weapon? Sometimes two or three different places? 29" waist! Infantry!!!!

Then I had double Pneumonia in infantry Advanced Infantry Training and then again in OCS. Spent 5 days in each place in the hospital.

I was in such good shape it was not difficult for me to do 50 pull ups and 100 push ups!

When did you graduate Paul?

We had a Saturday off at the end and that's when I bought the 356.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)