CRUNCH!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dan Epperly
356 Fan

CRUNCH!

#1 Post by Dan Epperly »

Driving on the freeway at 65mph , minding my own business, merging onto the next lane as my lane was ending along with the car in front of me and some idiot in an SUV of course decides to drive up my ass.
I feel the bump, look in the rear view mirror and no one is there. I look over to the left and he is already over in the fast lane, so I take off after him. I get behind him and he realizes "bad idea" and eventually pulls off the freeway and we exchange information.
Of course not a a scratch on his Jeep.
It's a shame, my car looks rough but had never been hit. Luckily it was just the tire that made impact so a couple easy dents , slight buckling of the fender, probably a bent bumper support, squished bumper and deco strip.
Filed the claim late Friday so hopefully his insurance is paid up. I'll take the car to the most expensive place in town for an estimate. I want a bondoless repair, and original bumper and deco strip and I will get it.

Herlin E. Woolery
356 Fan

Re: CRUNCH!

#2 Post by Herlin E. Woolery »

Dan, I feel for you dearly
More and more accidents I read is People are not taking Responsibility anymore and it is getting worse, its a shame you had to track the person down for what they did.
Hope you gave him a little piece of your mind when getting the info.
Good luck on the Repair

Herlin
(58) A coupe 104120

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

My condolences Dan. My idiot got the front left but she had to cross over to my side of the road, and had to run a stop sign.
Attachments
IMG_1846.JPG
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dan Epperly »

Yikes David!
What is it with idiots and red 356s? Do we resemble targets or something?

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#5 Post by Spike Jones »

We are all targets of all the idiots out there on the road who think they can text, play videos or other phone capable operations and operate a motor vehicle at high speeds on crowded roads. The phone may be" smart", but the owner ??????

Only going to get worse!!!
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dan Epperly »

SPIKE JONES wrote:We are all targets of all the idiots out there on the road who think they can text, play videos or other phone capable operations and operate a motor vehicle at high speeds on crowded roads. The phone may be" smart", but the owner ??????

Only going to get worse!!!
That and people having more horsepower than brain cells.

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jack Walter »

And I was getting a bunch of flak about not driving my car more than I do after completing a ten year restoration of it. I don't want to go through that whole process again so soon.
Glad you were able to get the guy to pull over.

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jay Wiener »

ugh! Horrible. However; the car can and will be fixed. You are ok and that is the main thing. Of course it could have been avoided. It's only original once. Though what's the point of having it if you don't drive it.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#9 Post by Martin Benade »

At least my car is far past the point of being only original once. I will keep driving, that is all it's good for anyway.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ronald Sieber »

My daughter and her husband bought a new VW and within a week got sideswiped by a motorcycle while stuck in Cali traffic on their way to a nice weekend out of the city. He did a bump-and-run, then took off between rows of cars as if nothing had happened.

We are dealing with a culture of responsibility-avoiders. I share Jack Walter's trepidation about driving my 356 among the nut-jobs. I just do back roads now.

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#11 Post by Steve Proctor »

The guy who T-boned me disappeared into thin air when it came time to settle up. Not sure if he gave a false name to the cops, but the insurance company never found him...oh, and he claimed that I had run the stop sign, not him. Note that both the front and sides are damaged, he hit me twice, side then front and sent me sideways over a curb into a front yard. Rudges on the other side were worse!!
Attachments
Wrecked '58 Super Coupe.JPG
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Jim Brown
356 Fan
Tag: Ignorant Porsche Consumer

#12 Post by Jim Brown »

I'm afraid that if you want to hold someone accountable these days, you will inevitably be portrayed as elitist, racist, or both.

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jay Wiener »

get a lawyer! You must do so. The insurance companies love pulling that "no fault accident" bs. At the end of the day, they are in business to make money and they don't care about you.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#14 Post by Jon Schmid »

I got tagged back in 2009 by a lady in a brand new Camry. I was in the far left lane of a three lane (our direction) street and she pulled out of a side street. She proceeded to cut across all three lanes and even though I pulled into the median lane to avoid her she tagged my right rear panel right above the wheel. Left a dent in my car, caved in the left front valence of her car. Hanging off the car, total mess. Since my car is no garage queen I took the money and the dent is still there. It'll get fixed when I restore the car. Some day....

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#15 Post by David Jones »

My lady was paying her liability only insurance by the month but as I have Hagerty as my insurer there was no issue getting the car fixed. The problem was that I now have a deductible on my insurance that I did not have before.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715