CRUNCH!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: CRUNCH!

#46 Post by David Jones »

Dan, surely you mean maximum coverage is $5K from what you wrote. Minimum coverage insinuates that you will get no less than $5k for any claim. Or is being a Brit mean my American english is screwed up.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#47 Post by Jim Nelson »

Mike Wilson wrote:Unless I misunderstood him, Dan said he was looking for a shop in San Diego.
Jim: Hung Luu Auto Body.

Mike
Ah, I thought he was in Irwindale...

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#48 Post by Dan Epperly »

David Jones wrote:Dan, surely you mean maximum coverage is $5K from what you wrote. Minimum coverage insinuates that you will get no less than $5k for any claim. Or is being a Brit mean my American english is screwed up.
Hi David, what I mean is that in Cal, the minimum policy is $5k for collision damage, so even though I got an estimate of $10k to repair the damage and their estimated put it at $5,300, the maximum I can get is $5k from his insurance.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#49 Post by Dan Epperly »

Mike Wilson wrote:Dan: maybe one of those paintless dent-removal guys could work out some of the dents?

Mike
Hi Mike, I doubt it. The metal was pushed down and in, I will have to counter that force using some heavy force. I have some ideas in mind that include welding, heavy plate steel, chains, 4x4s and horsepower.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#50 Post by Mike Wilson »

Jim: on West Foothill right off Irwindale exit.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#51 Post by Edwin Ek »

Our little, slow cars require defensive driving. In my view, that means expecting every driver to do exactly the worst, most dangerous thing at every moment. Driving well yourself is not nearly enough.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#52 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Hard to defend against stupid drivers. Until phones are electronically blocked in moving cars s#$t is going to happen.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Steven Murray
356 Fan

#53 Post by Steven Murray »

Dan Epperly wrote:
Hi David, what I mean is that in Cal, the minimum policy is $5k for collision damage, so even though I got an estimate of $10k to repair the damage and their estimated put it at $5,300, the maximum I can get is $5k from his insurance.
It doesn't seem to be totally your problem that he is under insured. You can sue him for the difference which could be another $5K++. He has the money if he has a fancy 300 hp jeep. If you have coverage on your 356 just put in the full claim against your policy.

If you have been injured for $10K, i don't think there is a law that says you can only collect $5k on your injury because that's all the insurance the dude has. The dude probably has a $3,000,000 home you can go after :) He took the risk when buying minimum insurance, not you.

Of course - this is all a headache. If you have a $3,000,000 home it might be best to just forget it.

Steven Murray
356 Fan

#54 Post by Steven Murray »

Dan Epperly wrote:Life is a learning experience.
So, the insurance comoany found the guy at fault. That's the good news.
Now for the bad. How many of you know that in the state of CA, minumum coverage for collision damage is a whopping $5,000? I didn't, but now I do. So basically that is all I will get.
The shop I took it to estimated repair costs at $10k.
Found the guy at fault huh. If I read between the lines the guy only has $5k coverage and the damage , once things are opened up are likely to be double that. So why should the insurance company piss you off and start assigning fault percentages? Just pay the $5k and say our guy is 100% at fault. Where liability is concerned if the driver just has the minimum allowed (which might be $25k or less depending on the state) if the guy crashes into a school bus full of kids, the insurance company doesn't waste any time. They just pay out the $25K and say - bye bye. No need to attribute fault or waste a second of time on the legal team. Now if the driver has a million in coverage - they'll take a peek.

Hey - if you accept that $5k settlement does that mean you won't go after the guy for more $$$? I'd say Ill take your $5k but I'm going after your insured for the remainder. I don't think they'd care anyway. Like I say - i think they're only on the hook for $5k regardless of anything else.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#55 Post by Dan Epperly »

Steven Murray wrote:
Dan Epperly wrote:Life is a learning experience.
So, the insurance comoany found the guy at fault. That's the good news.
Now for the bad. How many of you know that in the state of CA, minumum coverage for collision damage is a whopping $5,000? I didn't, but now I do. So basically that is all I will get.
The shop I took it to estimated repair costs at $10k.
Found the guy at fault huh. If I read between the lines the guy only has $5k coverage and the damage , once things are opened up are likely to be double that. So why should the insurance company piss you off and start assigning fault percentages? Just pay the $5k and say our guy is 100% at fault. Where liability is concerned if the driver just has the minimum allowed (which might be $25k or less depending on the state) if the guy crashes into a school bus full of kids, the insurance company doesn't waste any time. They just pay out the $25K and say - bye bye. No need to attribute fault or waste a second of time on the legal team. Now if the driver has a million in coverage - they'll take a peek.

Hey - if you accept that $5k settlement does that mean you won't go after the guy for more $$$? I'd say Ill take your $5k but I'm going after your insured for the remainder. I don't think they'd care anyway. Like I say - i think they're only on the hook for $5k regardless of anything else.

Yes, legally they can only pay out $5k if that's what the policy states. If there was personal injury the amount would be higher.
Yes I could try small claims, but then his company is claiming $5300 in repairs, the shop I went to claimed $10k, so first there would have to be a settlement of the difference, which means it would be somewhere in the middle likely. Then there is the issue of actually getting the money...
My time is worth something, actually quite a bit, and trying to squeeze $2500 out of a turnip is not worth it since I can repair it myself for far, far less.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#56 Post by Martin Benade »

Yes, there are times when it is not worth standing up for what is right. Similar to those times when you apologize to someone when you are sure that actually they should apologize to you, but better to be done with it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#57 Post by Jim Alton »

Mike Wilson wrote:Jim: on West Foothill right off Irwindale exit.

Mike
Turn just before this sign:
Sign near Hung Luu's shop
Sign near Hung Luu's shop
The address is:

Hung Luu Auto Body
952 W Foothill Boulevard
Azusa, CA 91702-2842

There's no "Hung Luu" sign anywhere near Foothill Blvd.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#58 Post by Jim Alton »

Speaking of USAA, I was rear-ended on Sunset Blvd while trying to get to a concours at Greystone Mansion:
My Boxster
My Boxster
Of course, it wasn't the fault of the guy who hit me. Someone ran into HIS rear and pushed him into me.
Heavily damaged rear of pickup that was forced into me
Heavily damaged rear of pickup that was forced into me
This is California, after all. USAA didn't hold it against me, but I was out the $ 500 deductible.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#59 Post by David Jones »

His buffed out very quickly Jim.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#60 Post by Jim Nelson »

Jim Alton wrote:
Mike Wilson wrote:Jim: on West Foothill right off Irwindale exit.

Mike
Turn just before this sign:

The address is:

Hung Luu Auto Body
952 W Foothill Boulevard
Azusa, CA 91702-2842

There's no "Hung Luu" sign anywhere near Foothill Blvd.
Thanks, Mike and Jim, I've always wondered where he was. I've come across a car that needs a good deal of metalwork, and you never know....