CRUNCH!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

Re: CRUNCH!

#61 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Steven Murray wrote:
Dan Epperly wrote:
Hi David, what I mean is that in Cal, the minimum policy is $5k for collision damage, so even though I got an estimate of $10k to repair the damage and their estimated put it at $5,300, the maximum I can get is $5k from his insurance.
It doesn't seem to be totally your problem that he is under insured. You can sue him for the difference which could be another $5K++. He has the money if he has a fancy 300 hp jeep. If you have coverage on your 356 just put in the full claim against your policy.

If you have been injured for $10K, i don't think there is a law that says you can only collect $5k on your injury because that's all the insurance the dude has. The dude probably has a $3,000,000 home you can go after :) He took the risk when buying minimum insurance, not you.

Of course - this is all a headache. If you have a $3,000,000 home it might be best to just forget it.
Same thing happened to me- she didn't have any insurance. Fixed under my collision, then USAA sued her, won and I got my deductible back.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)