Transmission Won't Go in to Gear

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dave Ross
356 Fan

Transmission Won't Go in to Gear

#1 Post by Dave Ross »

Transmission question for a 356B... I went to start the car this morning, and the transmission will go in to gear when the engine is off (although it's more of a struggle to get it in to gear than it normally is). But start the engine, and the gears grind when you try to put it in gear.

I tried putting it in first gear with the engine off, then starting the engine. But it just locks up and won't start.

I tried to adjust the clutch stop... moved it up as high as it will go, but that did not do the trick.

The transmission was perfectly fine last time I drove the car... so I am at a loss here.

Any tips or pointers on what to try next would be much appreciated... Thanks in advance!

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Transmission Won't Go in to Gear

#2 Post by David Jones »

Chances are that your clutch cable just snapped or some other component let go. Only way to find out at this point is to jack up the left rear wheel and try again to start the car in gear with the clutch in. If you want to be really safe remove the rotor from the distributor so the car will not start and spin the engine over in 1st gear. If the wheel spins then try the test again with handbrake on. If it just clunks and does not turn then start checking clutch components. First I would do a visual check on the clutch arm at the trans as you can see it with the left rear wheel off. Go from there. Worst case is that your pressure plate has failed and it means an engine out job but that is not much worse than changing a clutch cable.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#3 Post by Geoff Fleming »

B and C clutch cables rarely completely snap, unlike the earlier A series. However, the individual strands can begin to break, which allows the cable to lose tension. Now you have a situation as if the cable was backed off and needs re-tensioning.

Take up the tension in the cable either at the front or back ends and see if there is any change. If no change, follow David's advice and 'go from there'.

The B and C series cars use a rotating pin at the pedal cluster, which the clutch cable feeds through. This arrangement doesn't bend the cable when the pedal is depressed, while the A series cluster lacked this and the cables developed a weak point from being bent over in use. Most A cables would snap at this weak spot.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jon Schmid »

Geoff Fleming wrote:B and C clutch cables rarely completely snap, unlike the earlier A series.
I guess I'm one unlucky (or maybe lucky) guy. I have a Roadster and a C coupe and I've had cables snap on both (unlucky), once in my driveway (lucky). So, you never know, but I would definitely check the cable.

Dave Ross
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dave Ross »

Guys, thanks for the quick responses. Had a full day of family activities so haven't had a chance to get under the car yet... hopefully tomorrow. I will inspect/tighten as directed and report back.

Obviously, any other suggestions/thoughts are welcomed in the meantime!

Thanks!

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#6 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Jon'
I don't doubt that the later cables can snap, however, if they do, which is rare, they have been subjected to lack of lubrication and or hard useage without any attention to the condition. When I owned an A car, I had two cables snap quite suddenly. Had to drive home without using the clutch. Never had anything like that happen with my B or C cars, despite much heavier, daily useage...ungaraged in the New York Metro area with temps as low as just below 0 F to a tad over 100 F.
Like any other moving part on the car, the cables should be greased and adjusted when needs be...you will head off any problems later.

John Weyand
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Weyand »

How long has the car been parked? I have had the clutch disc stick to the flywheel/clutch face when parked here in humid Ohio. Twice I have put the vehicle (a tractor and a truck) in reverse and holding the clutch down to the floor, run the vehicle backwards up the steepest hill nearby to free the disc.
John W
'64 "C" coupe

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#8 Post by Vic Skirmants »

John Weyand wrote:How long has the car been parked? I have had the clutch disc stick to the flywheel/clutch face when parked here in humid Ohio. Twice I have put the vehicle (a tractor and a truck) in reverse and holding the clutch down to the floor, run the vehicle backwards up the steepest hill nearby to free the disc.
Bingo! Exactly what John said.

Dave Ross
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dave Ross »

John Weyand wrote:How long has the car been parked? I have had the clutch disc stick to the flywheel/clutch face when parked here in humid Ohio. Twice I have put the vehicle (a tractor and a truck) in reverse and holding the clutch down to the floor, run the vehicle backwards up the steepest hill nearby to free the disc.
Interesting... well I am in humid Indiana! Car had been parked for 3, maybe 4, weeks.

I can't get it into reverse!

Dave Ross
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dave Ross »

Ok, so here's what I've done... Adjusted the clutch cable at both the front and back. There was quite a bit of free travel in the clutch... now it is very minimal, and clutch is much stiffer.

I can row through all 4 gears and reverse with the engine off. But I still can't get it in to any gear with the engine running. First gear grinds. When I try to go in to 2, 3, or 4, it does not grind but slows the engine... try to get it into gear hard enough and it will kill the engine.

I tried to think back through anything I did when I started the car yesterday... and I remembered that I did not fully disengage first gear before starting the car (I always leave it in first when parked in the garage). The car lurched and died, as it should. I fired it up again, and that's when I could not get in to gear.

Hopefully the last two notes help with diagnosis and next steps...?

This couldn't have occurred at a worse time... we are moving this week, so most of my tools, shop books, etc. are packed! I had to dig out my jack stands to get under the car. They say timing is everything in life!

Thanks again for the help here!

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#11 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Dave; John and I have told you what the problem is. No amount of adjusting anything will help. Your clutch is stuck to the pressure plate and/or the flywheel.

Dave Ross
356 Fan

#12 Post by Dave Ross »

Got it... Thanks for clarifying, Vic!

I'll be honest that I didn't quite follow John's explanation of how to unstick the pressure plate and/or flywheel... Can you please give a little more color on what exactly it is that I need to do?

Thanks again!

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#13 Post by David Jones »

If you did not already try the hill method Dave. If the car is already on jack stands this may work. Put the car in either reverse or 1st then with clutch fully in start the engine. May be a good idea to warm it up first in neutral. With any luck once it is running in gear you can rev it up a little and get the wheels spinning then depress the clutch and stab the brakes which may be enough to break the disc loose from the flywheel or clutch pressure plate. I suggest this because as I remember it there is a dearth of hills around Indianapolis.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Dave Ross
356 Fan

#14 Post by Dave Ross »

David Jones wrote:If you did not already try the hill method Dave. If the car is already on jack stands this may work. Put the car in either reverse or 1st then with clutch fully in start the engine. May be a good idea to warm it up first in neutral. With any luck once it is running in gear you can rev it up a little and get the wheels spinning then depress the clutch and stab the brakes which may be enough to break the disc loose from the flywheel or clutch pressure plate. I suggest this because as I remember it there is a dearth of hills around Indianapolis.
David, Thanks for your response. I have NOT tried the hill method... I was a little unclear on what exactly I need to do. I do have a gradual hill in front of my house, so I can roll the car out there and do whatever I need to do.

The car is off of jack stands now... but can go back up easily if that is a better option.

You said "Put the car in either reverse or 1st then with clutch fully in start the engine." I can get in to 1st or reverse with the engine off. But if I depress the clutch (fully) then try to start in first (or any gear) the engine will not start... it just seizes up and jerks forward. The engine/transmission are cold... does warming up (as you mentioned) change this result?

I'm sorry that I'm not following... appreciate your help, bear with me!

Thanks again.

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#15 Post by John Lindstrom »

You can always pull the engine loose and unbolt the pressure plate if the hill method doesn’t brake it loose