Engine Rebuild

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Engine Rebuild

#31 Post by Vic Skirmants »

David Jones wrote:I agree 100% Jacques, I have been slammed in the past for being an enabler, I was once told I should not give advice when manuals were available. I see it as being able to interpret and give first hand advice from experience that is not possible from reading a manual. Fortunately we have the internet but there are still folks out there who are inept at even accessing stuff on the internet. I have many friends in the community I have helped out and some have natural skills but are relatively new to the 356 world and some have difficulty with anything more than connecting a battery charger. One thing they all have in common is a love for the 356 so it is incumbent upon those of us who have some aptitude, knowledge and skills to pass that on so future generations can enjoy the visceral driving and owning experience of the 356.
Right on! David.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#32 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I may be wrong but I think Eric who lives in Rural Ireland in an old church he restored is planning on having his engine rebuilt by a seasoned professional. My guess is that he is looking for information to give him an idea of probable cost/hours billable. If I am incorrect I am sure he will chime in.
Attachments
Eric's Old Church.jpg
Last edited by Doug McDonnell on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#33 Post by C J Murray »

Doug McDonnell wrote:I may be wrong but I think Eric who lives in Rural Ireland is planning on having his engine rebuilt by a seasoned professional. My guess is that he is looking for information to give him an idea of probable cost/hours billable. If I am incorrect I am sure he will chime in.
You are correct, we have gotten way off track.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

John Clarke
356 Fan

#34 Post by John Clarke »

David, Keep on enabling us. I value your advice and all the advice freely given on the Registry by the seasoned pros.
Thanks Vic, Cliff, Ron, Jacques etc. Too many to mention, it's great having all this support and knowing that you are not working on your own.
Cheers Jay

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#35 Post by Jim Liberty »

I agree with CJ. 40 hours labor. That said, we would never accept anyone's word on parts being ready to put back together. We would need to balance measure and magnaflux as needed. .....................Jim.
Jim Liberty

C J Murray
356 Fan

#36 Post by C J Murray »

Doug McDonnell wrote:I may be wrong but I think Eric who lives in Rural Ireland in an old church he restored is planning on having his engine rebuilt by a seasoned professional. My guess is that he is looking for information to give him an idea of probable cost/hours billable. If I am incorrect I am sure he will chime in.
When he goes to church, where does he go?

If I had that house a lightening bolt would strike me dead.

Is he Jewish?

Does he have to ring the bells at certain times of day?

Is Eric tax exempt?

Does Eric sign all his correspondence KTF?

Above is my attempt at humor. I am jealous though that Eric lives in a beautiful home in a beautiful country.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#37 Post by Spike Jones »

There are some who refer to me as a "Master" jeweler. I know that I am really good at designing and making unique jewelry from gold and/or platinum. Did I get that way all on my own? Of course not. From the age of 14 when I first sat down at a bench, I had many mentors who gave of their time and knowledge gained from experience and from others who helped them. I have always felt that it was my duty to help anyone who was serious about becoming a really good bench jeweler.

I agree 100% with Jacques, David, Vic and others that any of us who have any experience, knowledge, or advice about 356's should be willing to
share with anyone willing to get grease under their fingernails. It's what makes this forum truly great.

My '58 cab would not now be on the road again after 26 years were it not for that willingness of so many on this forum to share with me.
Also, kudos to my engine rebuilding mentor/friend, Mike Horton. Couldn't have done it without him.
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#38 Post by Jim Liberty »

Spike, thanks for reminding all of us, what the essence of the 356 Registry is all about. ..................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#39 Post by Eric McKinley »

Doug,

Your exactly right, just doing my homework.