If an American picked up a 356 in early 1962 in Germany

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Edwin Ek
356 Fan

If an American picked up a 356 in early 1962 in Germany

#1 Post by Edwin Ek »

and used it in Germany for several months before returning to the US, would German law have required the use of European headlight lenses? Or would it have been permissible to drive with US headlight lenses?

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: If an American picked up a 356 in early 1962 in Germany

#2 Post by David Jones »

Not sure what American servicemen had to do but as I remember cars delivered in Germany to British military all came with the German headlight lenses which had the asymmetric lenses which were illegal over here but legal in the UK as long as you put a piece of tape over the part of the lens that allowed the headlight beam to light up the right side of the road. This because in the UK driving on the right would annoy drivers coming towards one on the wrong side of the road. I never bothered to change mine when I went back to the UK because with a 6 volt headlight of the time one needed a light to see if it was on.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jules Dielen »

US lenses, as they were then ordered in US spec. they would get the oval temporary license plate. Same goes for US ordered factory delivery cars today. They also do not meet the german (or european) DOT specs. They also kept their MPH speedo and white/clear front turn signal lights (which are also illegal in Germany)
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#4 Post by Jim Liberty »

I'm with Jules on this one. ...................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Scott McAdams
356 Fan

#5 Post by Scott McAdams »

My 1960 Roadster was picked up in Germany by a US citizen, driven around Europe for a couple of months, then shipped back to the east coast and driven cross country to L.A. I am in touch with the original owner who sent me some pics of the car, newly back in the US. Here is one (hopefully attached....). It clearly shows the oval license plate and the clear turn signals, but I can’t quite tell about the lenses.
Attachments
795065B3-6D92-4DC0-A1C2-E1849FA5D055.jpeg
356B S90 Roadster, '60 (gone)
Targa, '84
C4S, '08
Macan GTS, '23

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

Jules' explanation makes sense to me as well.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#7 Post by David Jones »

Scott, it has clear lenses which tell the story. Fluted lenses would have been correct for German laws with bulbed reflectors. As far as I remember sealed beams were not common in Europe because Halogen lights were legal there and US cars were mandated to have sealed beams. I remember buying halogen bulbs for my car in Germany right after I bought it, though I cannot remember if my seat belts were bought before or after I bought the halogen bulbs. I do remember that because of being in the air force safety was the first priority and lights and belts were obvious safety items.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#8 Post by Erik Thomas »

Regardless of the laws, European headlights were held in high esteem in the USA. I recall sourcing a set of Euro headlights for my father's Mercedes on my first trip to Sweden. It was common to see sports cars in the Boston area with Euro lights, despite the fact that they were illegal. I knew a gentleman who brought in a 356 and had BOTH types of headlights so he could swap them at inspection time.

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#9 Post by Paul Ahnell »

When I shipped to Germany with the Army in late '72, I ordered a '73 BMW 2002Tii and a '73 R75/5 bike, both with US specs but I ordered the bike with clip-ons and a Polezei-style fairing with Krauser bags. They both came with sealed beams and MPH speedos. No oval tourist plates. We were issued "US Forces" (or some such) green USA-sized plates. When I shipped them home I changed to halogen bulbs.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#10 Post by Steve Douglas »

My 59 coupe was picked up at the factory, Tourist Delivery, ordered from SF. Kardex shows Us Bumpers, Sealed Beam Headlights, Exterior Mirror, “radio prep”. As far as I know it was a fully US speced car, with green USmilitary plates. Original buyer stationed in Munich July 59 to July 60, shipped to SF In 1960.