Turnswitc Radio Conversion - Report and Recommendation

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mark Reich
356 Fan

Turnswitc Radio Conversion - Report and Recommendation

#1 Post by Mark Reich »

I recently installed my Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio with stereo conversion by Turnswitch (S&M Electro-Tech Inc.). I wanted to report on the process for anyone who is interested.

I obtained a nice Frankfurt for conversion, since I do not want to gut my functional radio. That one will get put away. I sent the "new" radio off to Turnswitch with instructions to have it converted to stereo with an auxiliary adapter that would allow connection to other devices such as an ipod. They do list features such as Bluetooth connectivity but I opted against that since I really don't want to talk on my phone while driving my 356. They also provide a LED in the radio face that will indicate mode of use (AM, FM, Aux) but I indicated I did not want that LED showing since it would appear too modern. They placed the LED in the case in a location hidden when the radio is installed. The standard lighting and orange dot on the radio face remains visible. The exterior radio case was cleaned but not restored, meaning that it looks appropriate in the car. The reset buttons were cleaned and the lettering restored - they look really nice, but not over-restored. Turn-around was about a month, with a call when it was ready.

Installation of the radio was quite easy. Wiring is provided to connect speakers and power, with only the need to install appropriate wire connectors. The standard antenna connector is used. The external power pack for the radio is no longer required, making the unit very small and easy to maneuver behind the dash. You can keep the external power pack for cosmetic purposes if you want, but it no longer has any function.

The radio functions just as it should, with the shortwave preset now acting as an extra FM preset. The radio tunes into stations and does not fade or drift like the old radio did. The volume is greater because the radio has more power, and the sound is now in stereo so much more listenable. Even my wife complimented the sound. I am very impressed with this unit and the sound it produces. The preset buttons have a very nice feel, more like a smooth switch than a mechanical selector. The tuning and volume controls are also very smooth and positive in action.

I have no affiliation with Turnswitch, but I do recommend this conversion as it makes a significant improvement without changing the cosmetics of the radio. You cannot tell anything has changed unless you look under the dash at the wiring. I know there are some who prefer to just listen to the engine music. I can do that when the radio is off, but when it is on I like to be able to enjoy that sound as well.

I hope this report was useful.

Thanks.
Mark Reich
'61 T5B Super Coupe - Heron Grey
'18 911 Carrera - Miami Blue

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

Re: Turnswitc Radio Conversion - Report and Recommendation

#2 Post by Thomas Sottile »

Thanks for the review Mark

JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

#3 Post by JERRY LANDES »

Thanks for the review. What did it cost and did It cost extra for any options? Thanks Jerry

Mark Reich
356 Fan

#4 Post by Mark Reich »

The conversion cost about $550, which included the auxiliary connection to allow an iPod or other device to be played. This did not include the cost of the donor radio, of course.
Mark Reich

Ken Lubke
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ken Lubke »

Hey mark

I to just had my Blau upgraded at turnswitch in Blaine mn. Very clean and precise work these artist do. The upgrade, other than excess wires, is unnoticeable. The sound and tuning flawless. Like you, I love to listen to motor, but with a nicer sounding radio it all comes together as enjoyment.

Highly recommended.

Kenny
65sc

Mark Reich
356 Fan

#6 Post by Mark Reich »

I bundled the wires and used wire ties to tuck them out of the way. The auxiliary outlet wires hang down but behind the dash so they are not very visible. I am pleased at how well the radio holds a signal, and it now broadcasts in stereo with quite a bit more power. Still sounds like a vintage radio, which I like, but now provides a much better experience.

Glad you like it, Kenny, for when you are not just listening to that engine!

Mark
Mark Reich