356 B tachometer diagnosis?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Brian Cox
356 Fan

356 B tachometer diagnosis?

#1 Post by Brian Cox »

Just finished a 2541 mile trip to Road America for the Brian Redman challenge vintage weekend in my 1960 356 B.
Fort Collins Colorado to Elkhart Lake and back.
Lost the tachometer just shy of Road America. Cruising along, I saw the tach needle just drop and bounce to zero.

Could anyone offer a sequence of diagnosis steps to determine the problem? Thanks!

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

Re: 356 B tachometer diagnosis?

#2 Post by Jim Nelson »

Unscrew the tach cable from the tach and start the engine to see if you have a broken cable.

Brian Cox
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brian Cox »

I will start there!

Thanks...

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dick Weiss »

Brian,

If your tach cable's sheath @ the rear end {90 degree curve) is in OK condition, you can purchase just the inner cable and removing what's left of the broken insert--from the front end & the rear end, insert the new insert from the front to the rear; Be sure to add some lightweight grease during insertion (keep a big towel or rag to prevent staining your carpeting), and make sure the seal in the drive shaft nose/nose on the pump cover is replaced AND the shim which helps to retain the seal when snugging up the ring-nut to the cover. Then attach the front end of the cable to the instrument.

BTW, make sure the instrument's input shaft turns freely--use a short piece of the square end to check the tack needle movement.