Fuel pump question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Brian R Adams
356 Fan

Fuel pump question

#1 Post by Brian R Adams »

Somewhat off topic, but: The neighbor kid is struggling with a 1969 Type 3 VW, replacing the fuel injection with carbs (Solex type aftermarket ???). He's trying to use the original electronic fuel pump, but it's laughing at his carbs' float valves and overflowing the bowls. I suspect the F.I. pump puts out a lot more pressure than an ordinary VW mechanical pump would. Both new carbs are overflowing, so I doubt it's stuck floats or wildly misadjusted ones.

I told him he needs to buy a modern electronic fuel pump that puts out in the 3.5 psi range. But I told him I'd raise the issue here, and see if any of you closet VW guys had any comments. He's also thinking of trying a FLAPS fuel pressure regulator but I told him I fear that might be like putting your finger in a leaky dyke.

Does anyone know what kind of pressure his VW pump is producing for Bosch injection? Any comments or suggestions I could pass along to the neighbor?

Brian
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Fuel pump question

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

Yes, he needs a regular electric fuel pump. The one he is trying to use is maybe 40lbs or so, enough to make the float valves very unhappy. I don't think a normal regulator would fix it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brian R Adams »

Martin Benade wrote:Yes, he needs a regular electric fuel pump. The one he is trying to use is maybe 40lbs or so, enough to make the float valves very unhappy. I don't think a normal regulator would fix it.
Thanks! That what I figured.

Brian

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#4 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

He can use a Carter P60504 fuel pump it puts about 3-4 psi. Or a Facet Cube pump 40104 1.5 - 4.0 psi.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#5 Post by Brian R Adams »

Hugo Karasawa wrote:He can use a Carter P60504 fuel pump it puts about 3-4 psi. Or a Facet Cube pump 40104 1.5 - 4.0 psi.
Thanks. And back on topic, these would be useful in a 356 as well I suppose.
-

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

#6 Post by Tim Berardelli »

Tell your neighbor to avoid those "cute" round chrome plated fuel pressure regulators with a dial on the top sold at most FLAPS. They reduce fuel pressure by constricting the fuel flow through the device-pressure goes down AND you lose volume. Putting a set of vice grips on a fuel line will achieve the same result. Check Summit Racing for regulators that lower pressure w/o lowering volume.

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#7 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Yes, you can use these pumps in a 356.
Many do not like the cube pump , they say it is junk. I did not have any problems with the pumps I have used in other cars.

John Weyand
356 Fan

#8 Post by John Weyand »

Years ago when I converted a VW from fuel injection to carbs, I put a "T" connector in the line and ran the fuel to the "T" and straight back to the tank. The 90 deg leg ran to the carb. There was enough resistance in the line to divert plenty of fuel to the carb without all the pressure and continue using what we had (times were less financially blessed).
John W
'64 "C" coupe