356A Carrera - Ex Dean Jeffries - Bonhams at the Quail

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jack Walter
356 Fan

356A Carrera - Ex Dean Jeffries - Bonhams at the Quail

#1 Post by Jack Walter »

As most of you might know I decided some time ago to try to find a new caretaker for the ex-Dean Jeffries 1956 356A Carrera coupe. I was able to participate again this year at the Amelia Island Concours and the Werks Reunion so I've had about as much fun with the car as I reasonably can expect. I've decided to ship the car out to Monterey, California for the Bonham's Auction at the Quail next month. It is held in conjunction with the Quail Gathering that will be featuring an exhibit on the 70th Anniversary of Porsche on August 24th. As the Dean Jeffries Carrera has its roots firmly in the California car culture I thought that it would be fitting to return the car to its home state for a final farewell.

I've owned this car since I was 19 years old in 1971, it was the first car I ever bought without any input or approval from my father (who had nixed previous planned purchases of a pair of Mini-Coopers for $150 - some assembly required - and a Porsche Speedster which looked about like you would expect a $600 Speedster to appear). I've spent 47 years enjoying what turned out to be one of the most interesting Porsches that I've ever encountered. Along the way I've been introduced to many great folks who appreciate the history and significance of this important piece of Porsche, Kustom and Hot Rod history. Dean Jeffries himself, a boyhood hero of mine was deeply involved with the restoration of his Carrera and not only selected the final color for the car but also provided vital information along the way during its restoration. His final verdict on seeing the car in person was that it was "Bitchin" and that he truly appreciated that I had taken it back in time to look exactly as it did when he completed the car in 1957. Bill Warner, founder of the Amelia Island Concours, has told me that it is one of his all time favorite cars and he was the one who convinced the Glasurit corporation to donate all of the paint materials used in its restoration. I recently got a FIVA certification on the Porsche which documents it on the Historical Vehicle Association list as a significant piece of automotive history - something I am very proud to receive.

It is with mixed feelings that I look forward to seeing it roll across the stage next month but I think it is time for me to find it a good home and move on to restoring my beloved 1967 Land Rover Series IIA that has been patiently waiting its turn in the shop for over twenty years. I've got some great memories of the Porsche that will never leave me and I hope its next caretaker will continue to add to the great stories this car can tell

I look forward to seeing the many fans of this Carrera which has had many nicknames over the yeas from "Silver Satin" to "Kustom Karerra" to the "original Outlaw' while I am out in Monterey next month. Please come by and say hello to Dean Jeffries' Custom Carrera if you are attending the car shows out there.
Attachments
Bonhams1s.jpg
Bonhams2s.jpg
Bonhams3s.jpg

Jim Neil
356 Fan

Re: 356A Carrera - Ex Dean Jeffries - Bonhams at the Quail

#2 Post by Jim Neil »

That is a work of art and an amazing piece of history. Have always enjoyed over the years your posts on various forums documenting this car. I grew up in the shadow of Dean Jefferies in Hollywood in the 60's. I finally stopped by about a year before he passed and had a long and very, very pleasant meeting hanging out with him, talking about old Hollywood, Steve McQueen (a neighbor who I knew as a kid), and talked about your car.

GLWS!
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#3 Post by Spencer Harris »

I think Dean's nickname is the most appropriate: Bitchin'
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jack Walter »

That's great, I got to visit Dean in his shop a few times when Lockheed would send me to California on business trips. He was always very gracious and fun to talk to. I always meant to ask him if Steve McQueen ever got to drive his Porsche. I knew they were good friends and I figured that as much as Steve liked Porsches he would have at least ridden in the Carrera. I never remembered to ask Dean that question though. It would be fun to know if Steve took it for a run up Mulholland.

Dean was always asking me when he could have his car back, I'd tell him he couldn't get it back until I was finished with it. Sadly he passed away before I got the 4-cam back in it.

Dean Jeffries and his Porsche in 1957...
Attachments
JeffriesCarrera.jpeg
rearview-bws.jpg

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Jack:
You have been a great custodian for this historic custom and a generous soul in sharing it with others in your posts and on show fields. I've enjoyed seeing it out and about and speaking with you about its history. Good luck with its sale, and let's hope that it goes to a good home!
Best to you,
=rdsieber

ray nelson
356 Fan

#6 Post by ray nelson »

Jack you did a great job on saving a significant piece of 356 history and I hope you will be amply rewarded when you transfer it to a new caretaker. I remember reading about that car when it was in the magazines of the day and thought it was very "cool" at the time since Porsche's weren't the usual subject of customizers.
Is the paint an original Porsche color for the era or some exotic mix that Dean concocted? It looks similar to what my "62 S 90 originally had although by 1967 my car's paint was fairly destroyed by the Florida sun!
Ray

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#7 Post by Sean M Rooks »

I just read that 70 years of the Porsche 356 would be the featured marque at the Quail this year. Dammit I wish I were going! What a great year for our cars - lots of attention.

I'm very glad to have seen this car in person at Werks Reunion before she goes up for sale. Truly a special work of art.

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jack Walter »

The paint was specially mixed to match the pearlescent silver that Dean applied to the car in 1957.
The Glasurit representative went by his shop and sat down with Dean to have him specify the color during the restoration process.
Dean sat down with me in his shop and walked me through the process of re-applying the silver leaf to the dashboard. I had sanded the original finish off and painted the dash black when I first got the car - didn't realize that the dash was tarnished. So I admitted my error to Dean and he told me exactly how to recreate the original finish he had applied to it.

ray nelson
356 Fan

#9 Post by ray nelson »

Thanks Jack
I thought Dean probably added his own influence to the paint since even in the photos it has a radiance not seen in the factory silver paint. My S90's paint was very dull by the time I bought it in 1967. Florida isn,t kind to metallic paint even to more modern times.
Silver leaf on the dash, very interesting. As Mies van der Rohe once said, "God is in the details"
Ray

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jay Wiener »

This car was for sale recently no?

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jack Walter »

Jay Wiener wrote:This car was for sale recently no?
I put it up for sale on Petrolicious last year but got no response from the ad so I'm guessing the auction route is how I need to get it in front of a receptive audience.
I'm hoping the episode of the Caffeine and Octane show on MSNBC where Magnus Walker interviewed me about Dean's Porsche will air before the August 24th date of the Bonhams Auction.
He was very complimentary about the car and recognized it as the grandfather of what he's done with 911's. The show is supposed to air sometime in August.
Attachments
magnus1s.jpg

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jay Wiener »

Jack, what is the estimate for the car? Also I assume it's a reserve car

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jack Walter »

There is a reserve and Bonhams wants to set a low estimate and see what happens. I have my own ideas of what it's worth but a one of a kind Concours quality 356A Carrera is impossible to predict. We will all be curious to see what happens in August.

I'm watching Wayne Carini's show with the unrestored 57 Carrera out of Georgia that sold for over $500k at Amelia.

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#14 Post by Jack Walter »

Here's a link to the Bonham's auction listing for Dean's Carrera:

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24811/l ... 10&page=11

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jack Walter »

Hemmings Daily did a nice piece on the Carrera for their blog today -

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/07/2 ... refer=news