356A Carrera - Ex Dean Jeffries - Bonhams at the Quail

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

Re: 356A Carrera - Ex Dean Jeffries - Bonhams at the Quail

#31 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Jack & Jay:

Congrats on both the sale and the purchase of this monumental custom. Well-sold and well-bought; I hope that everyone is happy with the result. Stays with a member of the 356 community, remains on the West Coast. What's not to like?

Best,
=rds

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#32 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Jay Wiener wrote:Would you guys think I’m crazy if I drove it 300 miles to LA and then back up for rennsport? Because I just might do it!
I'd think you're crazy if you didn't drive it.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Ed Lawrence
356 Fan
Tag: Keeping the 356 Faith!

#33 Post by Ed Lawrence »

Congrats Jay!!!

Drive the living hell out of the car, you'll do folks out in CA a service when they see it on the roads and the huge smiles appear on their faces.
Ed Lawrence
1959 sunroof coupe
Instagram - @the.ed.lawrence
www.356sog.org

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#34 Post by Adam Wright »

My only advice would be to drive in a caravan, with one car in front and one car in back, if anything happens to the bodywork on that car it's going to be hard to replicate it. It shouldn't be hard to find two people to help.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#35 Post by Jack Walter »

I saw Bruce Meyer at the Pebble Beach Concours this morning and told him the Carrera was moving back to LA.
He was glad to hear it was coming back to the west coast. I told him that it would be really nice if he would give you the opportunity to display it at the Petersen at some time in the future.

And yes I was hoping for a bit more cash out of the deal so I could buy another interesting toy (or three) but it was a roll of the dice that didn't work out as I'd hoped. I am very happy that Jay got it however.
Last edited by Jack Walter on Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#36 Post by Bill Sargent »

Jay - congratulations on the purchase of a cool car and a piece of history.

I agree with others - DRIVE it! If you do decide to drive it for more than a half hour I recommend the Bose noise reducing ear buds (about $250). The block out most of the motor noise that beats you up on a long drive while still letting you hear things that you need to - like horns etc. I used them when I drove my 59A cab with 2 liter 4 cam and open sebring exhaust back and forth from San Francisco to Rennsport V.

I will also echo Ibrahim's comment about the need for extra cooling on the 692 plain bearing motor installed in the car. The thermostat on my car opens after only a few minutes of driving. I installed the full 356A Carrera hard and soft line front oil cooler set up on my 59A before installing the motor. Happy to assist with info if you want to DIY it or if you need sources of parts and recommendations for shops that can do the installation work properly.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

joe cogbill
356 Fan

#37 Post by joe cogbill »

Hope you knock it out of the park Jack. A good retirement coming your way. Cog
Joe Cogbill old SCCA E Production Racer

Ibrahim Kuzu
356 Fan

#38 Post by Ibrahim Kuzu »

Jack's Carrera is a Craftsmanship in it's best...She is an Art....Must be kept as it is...Some may not like /Some do....
Bill,
Issue is where do you install the front oil coolers? Nose does not have any opining...and Originally never had a plain bearing engine.So
Instead doing a lot of work on the body for front oil coolers,I would advice Jay ,Take out the 1600cc plain bearing engine sell it
and find a roller bearing 1500 cc engine and install it be done with it.
this way now ,
Dean's Carrera back to 100% original...Than, drive like you stole it " did I say that ,for $390 plus commission I think Jay stole it :-) "
IK

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#39 Post by Trevor Gates »

So Jay, did you drive it home?

Congratulations on the purchase. I’ve said this to friends before, maybe even posted here. That car is the exact intersection of where Porsche 356 and SoCal hot rod meet. Absolutely killer!
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#40 Post by Jay Wiener »

Hi Trevor, I did not drive the car home... I ended up shipping it. It's usually a little better as I like to inspect before a long journey. After the cars are restored, then I need to make them run! Rebuilt the oil temp sending unit and gauge (runs nice and cool), and it seems that the carbs are leaking a little bit and the accelerator pump on driver side isn't up to where it needs to be. I also found some aircraft nuts on the carbs ;) So I replaced them with correct nuts as well. I've already burned through all the av gas and working out the kinks. I almost made it to Rennsport

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#41 Post by Trevor Gates »

Hi Jay,

How’s the car? Are you bringing it out to any of the events in SoCal in March? I’d love to see it in person if possible.

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#42 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Jay,
I'm with Trevor. I would love to see the car. Would you bring it to North Meets South this year?
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#43 Post by Jay Wiener »

Hey Fellas, the car is dialed in and being driven! Depending on the weather we might be at the Lit Show, and then of course Dana Point, and I've applied for Pebble Beach 2019 for the class "hotrod cover cars"

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#44 Post by Jack Walter »

I'm hoping the Carrera is accepted at Pebble Beach 2019 - if it is I will plan on being there to help Jay educate the judges on the car's history and details of the restoration.

I've also strongly encouraged Jay to take the car to this event since its a great example of something from this era built by hot rod royalty:
https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Customs_by_ ... rbara_2019

750px-Kustomrama-customs-by-the-sea-santa-barbara-2019.jpg
750px-Kustomrama-customs-by-the-sea-santa-barbara-2019.jpg (105.12 KiB) Viewed 1512 times

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#45 Post by Trevor Gates »

Jay - When you say LitMeet do you mean the Sunday Swapmeet at the Phoenix Club? I’m the Swapmeet event organizer for the SoCal 356 Club and would be honored to have you bring the car. I’ll even save you a spot right as you walk in the gate or any other place you like in the courtyard. Seriously! Just let me know.

Jack - That event would be perfect! I went to T.R.O.G. when it was in Pismo a few years back and it was epic. This year they’re racing in the streets of Sant Barbara, should be a blast!