Love the car, but....wow

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Nelson
356 Fan

Love the car, but....wow

#1 Post by Jim Nelson »

It's not like it doesn't have needs...
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1956- ... ean-coupe/

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Love the car, but....wow

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I bet Adam didn't sell it for that price. And our own Jim Liberty bought it.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

I do wonder about the "clean PA title". If that was a PA car multiple owners ago and if the endorsements were not done correctly then some shady activity will be needed to "own" it. Each "owner" that had the car was required to pay tax on the car unless they were a licensed motor vehicle dealer and in most states that means bringing the car into the dealership name. The last 2 owners were in KS so who's name is on the PA title? Were endorsements done correctly, or at all? If not the PA man owns the car.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#4 Post by Wes Bender »

This was just discussed last Friday here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46417
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

Doug McDonnell wrote:I bet Adam didn't sell it for that price. And our own Jim Liberty bought it.
Nope, but I sold it in 2013, you can't look back and think "I could have gotten more" because then you never sell anything. I know I sold it for a nice profit in 2013 and that is all that truly matters. The stories I hate to hear are the guy's who said they scrapped a Speedster because it wasn't worth anything, if only they had held on, that's sad because there is one less Speedster. But fretting about how much more a car is worth now than 5 years ago, that's silly. I know guy's who won't sell their car because it might be worth more tomorrow, but that's one less 356 that's going to be restored. My advice to people, do your research, sell it, and move on, that's what I do. There are plenty of cars I could have held onto and made more money, but then you can't buy anything else, because your money is tied up, unless you have unlimited funds. I have a nice slush pile to buy cars with, but it is far from unlimited, you have to sell to buy, it's that simple.
I'm way more excited about seeing this car get a proper restoration, now that's cool!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Knowing who it went to it will be an award winner when he is done with it. I was just surprised it went for so much. But I admit I do not follow A prices. Holy Crap I just looked on Hagerty. Best I keep my 65C. I sure can't afford an A.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Nelson »

I’m happy it went to a long-time Registry. member that will do it up correctly. The interior has great appeal, especially. I’d love to find a beehive coupe in this shape; I was going to try and snipe it at the last minute, but having two disparate cars going at the same time is a bit much. Good luck to Jïm on his new car.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

I'll let everybody know if I find anything else comparable. This one had a cool patina.
Attachments
1.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#9 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Jim; you can't "snipe" on BaT. Any last second bid extends the closing time by two more minutes. This one went about twenty minutes over.
Jim Liberty; don't you dare paint the oil filter inlet fitting; I will personally remove it and replace with a correct plated one!

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#10 Post by Doug McDonnell »

A gentle dig Vic? Mr Subtle:>)

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#11 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Sorry, but this has been bugging me for the last year; orange-painted fittings, INCLUDING on the official factory engine!
NO, that is NOT correct! So there.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

guess I need a picture of this painted fitting. Of course I know nothing about earlier cars. I am sure you are right Vic.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#13 Post by C J Murray »

Vic has many "triggers". Be afraid!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#14 Post by Jim Liberty »

Thanks for all the comments, especially the Title issue. (Vic I promise) I have it coming first to verify things. Silver over Red with Grey corduroy. One of my dream combinations.

Something new to me: Reutter Co. still has the coach archives. They are managed by the great grandson. They charge $500+/- for the records, well worth it on a significant car. I have them coming for the '54 I'm working on. it was a "Sonderausfuhrung" (Custom Order) car Black/Green. I'll share the information when it arrives. ..........................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Mike Wilson »

Congrats on winning the auction, Jim!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe