Love the car, but....wow

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Love the car, but....wow

#16 Post by C J Murray »

Jim Liberty wrote:Thanks for all the comments, especially the Title issue.
When you get a copy of the PA title, front and back, I can look at it and give you an opinion. The situation might be better if you can get a notarized Bill of Sale from the seller that listed it on BaT and use that to get a CA title. The biggest hurtle is really CA and you know them better than I do. A Bill of Sale is easier to explain than a title with funky endorsements from someone other than the person that you paid for the car. Is KS a title state? Even for old cars? If so CA may be wise and request a title in the name of the KS seller. However, if CA is like PA you can petition the courts to issue you a title in your name by producing a notorized Bill of Sale. The assumption by the judge is that you would not bring the matter before the judge if the car was stolen, especially since the court searches the national database for stolen vehicles. I can say this because the crooks already know....so you steal a Speedster, renumber it to a known scrapped car number and go to court for a title. The system only keeps honest people honest.

Did you see the story about the stolen James Bond Aston Martin that is in a private collection in the MiddleEast? Rich crook!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#17 Post by Dan Epperly »

C J Murray wrote:
Jim Liberty wrote:Thanks for all the comments, especially the Title issue.
When you get a copy of the PA title, front and back, I can look at it and give you an opinion. The situation might be better if you can get a notarized Bill of Sale from the seller that listed it on BaT and use that to get a CA title. The biggest hurtle is really CA and you know them better than I do. A Bill of Sale is easier to explain than a title with funky endorsements from someone other than the person that you paid for the car. Is KS a title state? Even for old cars? If so CA may be wise and request a title in the name of the KS seller. However, if CA is like PA you can petition the courts to issue you a title in your name by producing a notorized Bill of Sale. The assumption by the judge is that you would not bring the matter before the judge if the car was stolen, especially since the court searches the national database for stolen vehicles. I can say this because the crooks already know....so you steal a Speedster, renumber it to a known scrapped car number and go to court for a title. The system only keeps honest people honest.

Did you see the story about the stolen James Bond Aston Martin that is in a private collection in the MiddleEast? Rich crook!

...or you can simply call AAA if you are a member and see if it is in the Cal system by some chance and to make sure it's not stolen etc. if it is not in the system, then you pay an independent DMV services independent contractor about $100 to come out and do a VIN verification and simply fill out a lost title statement. You know, gee, I had the title in my papers and my wife was cleaning out the office and tossed it I needed the trash by accident...
Take paperwork to AAA and get your title.
At least so I heard, :D

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#18 Post by Jim Alton »

The car in question is chassis # 55353 and the Porsche Certificate of Authenticity says it came with “European” script.

Brett Johnson’s The 356 Porsche, A Restorer’s Guide to Authenticity, 3rd edition (1997), says: "The latest Europeans known are coupe 55154, cabriolet 61064."

Brett Johnson’s The 356 Porsche, A Restorer’s Guide to Authenticity, 2nd edition (1990), says: "The latest Europeans known are coupe 55100, cabriolet 61064."

So, if this might be something for a 4th edition

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#19 Post by Jules Dielen »

55353 is a real european.

61068 is also a european cab. there are a few more known now.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#20 Post by Jim Liberty »

Thanks again all, a real help for this pea brain. I will keep you posted on the car as it moves through Title and restoration. As you know I do one car at a time, and I have a '54 in the paint shop now. .............................Jim.
Jim Liberty

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#21 Post by John Lindstrom »

Are the A’s going to continue to go up in value?

C J Murray
356 Fan

#22 Post by C J Murray »

John Lindstrom wrote:Are the A’s going to continue to go up in value?
No.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#23 Post by James Davies »

Cool car. Congrats Jim. Please preserve as much of the original patina as possible if you restore it. Especially that lovely interior.

And pay attention to all the nice details on these early As that are more like pre-As than later A T1 cars. Notice the pre-A type Knechts for instance. Perhaps this one also has the schutz on the underside of the front and rear lids? Hard to tell from the photos.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#24 Post by George Hussey »

so what made it worth so much? Just a beehive A coupe needing restoration
George Hussey

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#25 Post by John Lindstrom »

Supply vs demand. Practically zero supply and increasing demand for the A cars. Also, the global money supply has increased tenfold in the last year or so. Our pretty little green pieces of paper are being devalued faster and faster.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#26 Post by Jim Liberty »

Value, what ever that is, is determined by the buyer. Rarity is not always a factor, but it helps. I just received the Reutter build documents from their archives. The '54 I'm working on is Black over Green (C of A). What is amazing to me, is that the carpet and head liner are Green, and the dash is dark Red (Pasha?) I would never have guessed that.

As for the '56 European, not only the fact this was a one year rebuttal to Ford by Max Hoffman, but the color combination is unusual. Silver with Red interior, but Grey corduroy seat inserts. For me a dream combination. Not to mention original scripts, and all numbers matching. God willing I will be in good health for the 2020 Amelia Island Concourse, and the car will be worthy of an invitation. ...............................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#27 Post by Wes Bender »

Knowing you, Jim, the car will be worthy. Keep us posted on the progress.

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Ron Hollins
356 Fan

#28 Post by Ron Hollins »

I own 1956 coupe #55308 with European badges.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#29 Post by C J Murray »

I think I'll put a European script on my 63 coupe.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#30 Post by Jim Liberty »