Willhoit Steering Wheel Extension

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Carter
356 Fan

Willhoit Steering Wheel Extension

#1 Post by Greg Carter »

Per the title, has anybody used one of these with a factory steering wheel? I’m 6’4” tall with a 36” inseam and would really like to use the factory wheel comfortably in my 356C coupe. If anybody has any feedback on these and how they work I’d like to know your thoughts. If you have any pictures of them installed that would also be good. I’m trying to see how far up / out it moves the wheel and if it would be a good fit.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

Re: Willhoit Steering Wheel Extension

#2 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Greg,

This looks to be very, very close to the factory extension as stated in the description. I have the factory extensions in both of my cars and they are pretty easy to install and it looks like this install the same way. Like the factory extension it moves the wheel just a shade over 1" towards you. I am 6'2" and it makes the driving position much, much better so you can have the seat all the way back and you are not reaching out for the wheel.

As for this kit in particular, if John makes/sells it, it will work as described.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#3 Post by Greg Carter »

Sebastian,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you comment on any leg room increases with the extension kit in your car? I don't have any issue reaching the wheel with the seat all the way back but the leg room (ie: knees fitting under the wheel) is the real issue. I'd like to be able to fit my knees under the stock diameter steering wheel and was hoping this extension would solve that problem. I was hoping the 30mm extension would push the wheel up and out far enough to make the fit better for me but wasn't sure it would.

Greg

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#4 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

This won't help you then if the issue is legroom and the seat is already all the way back; the steering wheel will just come closer to you but the seat isn't going to move back.

Depending on how involved you want to get, the seat rail mounts could be repositioned further back by a competent shop. That's the only way I can think of to get you more leg room.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#5 Post by Greg Carter »

Sebastian,

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

I think the solution for me is to go with a smaller Nardi wood steering wheel and have a custom extended mounting hub made. Right now I'm running a '60's vintage Nardi wheel (borrowed from a friend) that's smaller in diameter than a factory wheel (I think it's ~380-400mm vice the factory diameter). It's a got a VW hub on it that provides an effective 50mm of extension from the face of the turn signal switch housing to the back of the steering wheel itself. I think I'll need at least 50mm of extension to get my knees under the wheel based on the stock sitting position. Unfourtunately, I think this solution is going to cost a lot more than the cost of the Willhoit extension in the long run.

I guess I need to figure out if installing the Willhoit extension coupled with the deeper dish of the factory wheel is close to the total extension provided by the extended hub and flatter dish of the Nardi.

Greg

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#6 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

There may actually be a solution for you. In my coupe I have a combination of a 356 extension on the steering column and an early 911 extension on the back of the stock wheel which gives me 60mm.

Let me know if you'd like some pictures, it may not be as difficult as first thought.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#7 Post by Greg Carter »

Sebastian,

That's smart, I didn't even think about doing something like that. I would like to see pictures if you don't mind

I used a CornPanzer 30mm extended hub on my early 911 and installed it to a nice 380mm leather wrapped 914 wheel. It worked really well in providing more knee clearance when I had the car. I didn't think about the hubs being essentially the same between a 356 and an early 911. I had to drill out the rivets on the original 911 hub to install the extended hub, did you do this on your car as well with the hub you used?

Greg

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#8 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Yes, same thing would need to be done. I'll get some pics today and post them.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#9 Post by Greg Carter »

Sebastian,

Sounds good, looking forward to seeing picturtes.

After re-reading my above post I may not have explained the leg room issue I'm having. I sit comfrotably with plenty of leg room with the seat all the way back and the clutch and brake pedals adjusted to their lowest position with the factory notches (no issue reaching the wheel). The problem is, the steering wheel sits right at my knees (they stick up a little) which means I can't get them under the wheel with a stock diameter steering wheel mounted without any extensions. By moving the wheel closer to me via extensions, it should allow the wheel to sit beyond my knees (over my thighs which sit lower / flatter) meaning I should be able to get my legs under the wheel (providing more clearance to the shifter and making pedal pushing esaier). There's no issue with the small diameter Nardi w/ extension I'm using but I would like to use the factory wheel. Right now, I'm not sure if a straight 30mm of extension will move the wheel far enough aft to clear my knees or if 60mm would be more appropriate.

Thanks again.

Greg

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#10 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Greg,

Here is a (crappy) image of the extensions. If you look at the 4 separate pieces from behind the steering wheel going to the right, the first section is the early 911 extension of 30mm. As you can see it has a bigger diameter than the rest of the pieces. Next is the stock turnsignal housing, the next is the factory 356 extension of 30mm and the next is the column itself.

It looks way more clunky in this image than it does in person.
extensions.jpg
I hope this helps.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#11 Post by Geoff Fleming »

You can increase the leg room for the driver by loosening the clamped ends of the brake and clutch pedal rods and then moving them away from the current position. Re-clamp the rods in place and there you are.

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#12 Post by Greg Carter »

Sebastian,

Thanks again for the reply and the pictures. I see what you’re talking about now. I’m not sure I like the look of the extension on the steering wheel personally but the column extension looks good. I’m going to keep thinking on this one as I’m coming back to the Nardi wheel with extension or a combination of that and the column extension. I’m thinking this isn’t going to be cheap.....

Geoff, I’ve already adjusted the pedals to their lowest point. If there was a third notch on my pedals (I only have 2) I would run them in further since they still have a few inches of extra travel.

Greg

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#13 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Greg,
You can make a third indent in each rod and this will give the extra length.