Sparkly Stuff

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rick Wall
356 Fan

Sparkly Stuff

#1 Post by Rick Wall »

This weekend I spent some time working on my 62 coupe. While removing some factory undercoating I noticed very tiny metal flakes mixed in with the undercoating. Sorry if this topic has been discussed in the past, but can anyone tell me if the factory added asbestos to the undercoating, or hopefully something else?

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Sparkly Stuff

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

I am pretty sure that was mica, but not sure if they really needed it in the mix, or what.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Rick Wall wrote:This weekend I spent some time working on my 62 coupe. While removing some factory undercoating I noticed very tiny metal flakes mixed in with the undercoating. Sorry if this topic has been discussed in the past, but can anyone tell me if the factory added asbestos to the undercoating, or hopefully something else?
"When is Asbestos Dangerous?
The most common way for asbestos fibers to enter the body is through breathing. In fact, asbestos containing material is not generally considered to be harmful unless it is releasing dust or fibers into the air where they can be inhaled or ingested. Many of the fibers will become trapped in the mucous membranes of the nose and throat where they can then be removed, but some may pass deep into the lungs, or, if swallowed, into the digestive tract. Once they are trapped in the body, the fibers can cause health problems."
http://ehs.oregonstate.edu/asb-when
Anecdotal: I'm of an age such that doing brake jobs in the late '50s and '60s included blowing all that stuff out of the drums and the backing plates with the compressed air nozzle. Oh, and cleaning the wheel bearings meant sticking your hands in a pool of leaded gasoline and working them with a brush.
I make no claim that this was a really healthy method of cleaning things, bit it is also obvious that any claim of acute and immediate harm from asbestos dust might be taken with a bit of salt.
"How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb", if you will...
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

Asbestos is fiberous, so at least the shiny flakes are not asbestos. Not sure what else they used, but if asbestos was mixed onto their tar, it should be contained and fairly safe. Theoretically i am a geologist,so I know a bit about this. However I did brake jobs and bearing greasing like Ron did, so who knows what it may have done to my brain.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Doubt an analysis has ever been done to see if the undercoating contains asbestos. A good reason NOT to wire brush off unless proven no asbestos.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

There must be some sort of binder in the undercoating. If you watch the video, the guy just kicks the lid off the can of undercoating and goes to work on the undercarriage. Even Henry's roof seal has a griity texture to it, silica quartz.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#7 Post by David Jones »

There are many of us who should never have survived this long because of all the stuff we did not know was supposed to have killed us by now. Siphoning leaded gas and drinking water from lead pipes, using toluene and carbon tetrachloride as cleaning agents. Asbestos was a minor problem compared to the everyday threats to life and limb.
In the sixties a mouthful of gas was nowhere near as threatening as the possibility of nuclear catastrophe and seat belts were only for the wimps like myself who drove fast and wanted to stay with the car when it went out of control. I wonder how I survived it all now we have so many safeguards and the EPA, FDA and CDC looking after our chemical health. But we still have not found a cure for cancer though we can cause it in so many ways.
At least the government still lets me drive my out of date unsafe at any speed swing axle Porsche 356 as long as I pay my taxes and insurance.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#8 Post by Jim Liberty »

Great thread. How about the hundreds, maybe thousands of miles on a bike with no helmet. ...................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#9 Post by Martin Benade »

Jim, that's anecdotal evidence.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#10 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Jim Liberty wrote:Great thread. How about the hundreds, maybe thousands of miles on a bike with no helmet. ...................Jim.
How about building plywood ramps and jumping our bikes over garbage cans (sans helmets) mimicking Evel Knievel in the late 60's and early 70's while your mom shook her head and said "you boys be careful" as she walked back into the house...
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#11 Post by Norm Miller »

Jim Liberty wrote:Great thread. How about the hundreds, maybe thousands of miles on a bike with no helmet. ...................Jim.
Good point Jim however it's those feet turned into yards sliding down the pavement with no helmet that causes one to ponder.

Rick Wall
356 Fan

#12 Post by Rick Wall »

Thanks for the input. I will leave the wire brush and grinder in the drawer, just in case.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#13 Post by Mike Wilson »

I think there are kits that detect asbestos. Maybe try a sample. As was pointed out, asbestos is only hazardous when it becomes airborne or ingested. When it is encapsulated like in sound deadening, it shouldn't pose a problem. That said, I still would wear eye and respiratory protection.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#14 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Mike Wilson wrote:There must be some sort of binder in the undercoating. If you watch the video, the guy just kicks the lid off the can of undercoating and goes to work on the undercarriage. Even Henry's roof seal has a griity texture to it, silica quartz.Mike
Mike, which video are you referring to?
Many roofing tar products contained asbestos prior to about 1964 and such a product could have made a quick and cheap undercoating if it was readily available and a guy didn't care much. I agree with the other posts, asbestos is a fiber, not a 'platelet' like mica. It is amazing where you could find it in old buildings: acoustic ceiling tiles, vinyl floor tiles and the mastic to install them, pipe insulation, laboratory counter tops (the thick black ones), lab sinks. Some old houses with (hard and brittle) shingled siding are actually covered in transite, another asbestos-containing material.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Mike Wilson »

Hi, Mark. The video is "Made by Hand". It's the one Porsche made at the factory.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe