Exhaust gaskets.....thicker variety

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Chris Duerr
356 Fan

Exhaust gaskets.....thicker variety

#1 Post by Chris Duerr »

I am trying to find supplier who offers for sale a thicker exhaust gasket option. A famous vintage racer and prolific engine builder mentioned to me he such an option was available but could not recall the supplier name information. The exhaust note in my car is not so pleasant with a hint of leaking. Thanks.

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Exhaust gaskets.....thicker variety

#2 Post by C J Murray »

'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

James Learmonth
356 Fan

#3 Post by James Learmonth »

Chris,

I think the product you are looking for is: Remflex Exhaust Gasket. Get them online at Remflex exhaust gasket. I believe that I got mine through Summit Racing. The gaskets are about 1/8 inch thick and a graphite composite. They are brittle and when installed they say torque to 15ft./lbs.
Seems improbable but it was all I could do to stop at 15. Man thats like finger tight. The heat of exhaust does something to the composition and you are all done. Here is what the package says: Guaranteed to stop exhaust leaks
50% crush seals warped and pitted flanges
solid graphite gaskets good to 3000F
no re-torquing required
Great product, if I ever do another muffler I have 2 leftovers, they come in a 4 pack.

Jim Learmonth
65C Coupe
Houston, TX

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Lindstrom »

Sometimes I just use 2 regular gaskets instead of one.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

James Learmonth wrote:The heat of exhaust does something to the composition and you are all done. Here is what the package says: Guaranteed to stop exhaust leaks
50% crush seals warped and pitted flanges
solid graphite gaskets good to 3000F
no re-torquing required
Great product, if I ever do another muffler I have 2 leftovers, they come in a 4 pack.
Jim Learmonth
The former 'thick' gaskets simply meant the flanges warped when you tightened the nuts, meaning the part mid-way between the stud soon leaked; the C is an example. It's gotten filed flanges and new gaskets probably 3 or 4 times, and it works fine for 6 months or so, until that south-bound coast down Gough after the seventh month: "pop, pop (and unless I de-clutch and brake) POP!"
I see both Cliff and you are endorsing this product which (that 15#/ft) obviously does not rely on warping the flanges. Given testimonies from the two of you, they WILL go on the engine at the next service.
Danke!
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#6 Post by Richard Shilling »

When I overhauled my engine I used one gasket on the exhaust manifolds. Shortly after it leaked. When I had the car on the hoist, I slid the exhaust back and put on two gaskets. Later they leaked. I got tired of the putt, putt and searched and found the Remflex gaskets. I also found the 8mm nuts with 10mm ATF for the exhaust studs. They worked!

The Remflex gaskets can be purchased at www.remflex.com and the nuts were bought on e-Bay with the following description: VW M8-1.25 Copper Exhaust Nuts 10mm wrench size. I didn't use a torque wrench but 10MM ATF nuts make it a little more difficult to over-tighten.
Attachments
Remflex Gaskets.jpg
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#7 Post by Mike Horton »

Howdy Jim, all. Spike Jones & I just reassembled his '58 cab engine, and replaced a pair of these Remflex gaskets, nearly new, with new ones. They are a one time use product, but seem to hold well, so far. Spike had also used the 10mm nuts. We found these gaskets in stock, at the new Summit Racing parts outlet in Dallas, friendly folks.

The ex. gaskets in the last two new Reintz gasket sets are plain, and way thinner than the old wire reinforced ones once provided. Both these sets, also contained the blue, Goetz "double lipped" flywheel seals, beware!

These "air, fuel, and oil cooled" engines, also "grow" in width, and length, when up to temp., which "works the exhaust seal in service, due to the thermal differential, hence, Ron 's experienced example...
Mike

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#8 Post by Curt Dansby »

I went through this some time ago when the thinner poor quality gaskets became the "standard" from most vendors.

I have not used the Rimflex but Sierra Madre carries the old style with crush metal core in the middle of the gasket. Pelican also lists an OEM gasket but when I tried to clarify if it had the metal core they did not have any in stock to give me a description.
Curt

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi
My USA gasket supplier has had exhaust gaskets done since the usual OEM ones he sourced were not up to par. He is only wholesale and i think he may only want to offer them in top end kits. I will talk to him and see if there may be an outlet that will make them available to the 456/912 community.
j

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Remflex Gaskets - with 8X12 Copper Flange Nuts https://www.belmetric.com/hex-with-flan ... p-189.html

Jeff
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#11 Post by Mike Wilson »

It also helps to check the mounting flange of the muffler and make sure it is flat. File as needed.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#12 Post by Dick Weiss »

The real problem w/the exhaust flanges on the later mufflers like the Dansk or some of the tuned systems is the 1/4" (6,3mm) thickness which tends to get warped when heated during a drive, and yes--I've used double gaskets on some of the ports if the flange(s) weren't re-flattened.

The original flange thickness was/should be 5/16" (8mm) and carefully welded so the proper 8 x 12mm atf hex nuts will clear the bead.
I never use the medium/soft brass nuts but I protect the threads w/hi-temp anti-seize from rusting. (after studs are cleaned or replaced)