Weber idle jet question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

Weber idle jet question

#1 Post by Tom Coughlin »

My car runs rough up to about 3000 rpm after winter storage. I suspect a clogged idle jet and when I removed the rear jets on each side (OK, yes the easiest to reach) one was clean. The other only got me the screw-in holder while the jet stayed in the Weber.
Does anybody have a simple method for retrieving the jet? I don't have a suitable pick but I did try to fish with a short wire with no luck. Thanks in advance. Tom
 KTF, member #15

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

Re: Weber idle jet question

#2 Post by Tim Berardelli »

Tom,

Use something metal with a pointed tip, a static timing light works great. Not the end with the Alligator clip. Use the same tool to expand the "prongs" at the base of the jet ,use minimum force, pretend your on the Bomb Squad, so that the idle jet is a tight fit in the holder. If the idle jets are loose in the holders you are getting more fuel into the engine on the idle circuit than what you think your idle jets are providing, based on their size.

Tim B.
Last edited by Tim Berardelli on Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

Sometimes you can fiddle around with the jet holder and the holder will grab hold of the jet. Remove the o-ring that the holder seals against so that the jet holder can be fiddled more freely. Screw it in finger tight and remove it gently. Before re-installing the jet into the holder spread the jet for a better friction fit. Be cautious since it is easy to break the jet.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#4 Post by Tom Coughlin »