C cab on BaT

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ned Hamlin
356 Fan

C cab on BaT

#1 Post by Ned Hamlin »

There is some discussion about the red C cab on Bring a Trailer regarding it having a 912 3rd piece. I'm trying to figure out how you can tell it's a 912 vs a 356 3rd piece. I have a 912 engine and SC engine sitting side by side on my shop floor, and the only difference I can find is that the 912 has a fin to the right of the fuel pump under one of the bolts, but it is not an area visible in the BaT pictures. How are you guys able to pick out the difference?
Thanks.
Ned Hamlin
'64 Bali Blue coupe
'65 Togo Brown SC
'58 Ruby Speedster
'65 Dolphin Grey coupe
'63 Carrera 2 coupe

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison/Yogi Berra

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: C cab on BaT

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Fraudulently presented car as numbers matching. Look at the numbers-they are stamped much lower than on a 356 timing cover. Jim B shows with pictures what to look for here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1227
Last edited by Doug McDonnell on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

The 912 timing cover nuts are quite obvious.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

Doesn't the 912 third piece have additional mounting points for the rear support bar?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

Re: C cab on BaT-c vrs. 912

#5 Post by Tom Coughlin »

Ned: The most visible way to spot the difference between a 356 and 912 engine is to look to the right of the stamped engine number, where you see the the nut. On the 912 the nut is almost flush with the surface where the engine number is stamped.

On the 356 there is a distinct depth back from that surface. Tom
 KTF, member #15

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#6 Post by Sean M Rooks »

That car was produced in March 1965 according to the COA. Is there any chance a 912 timing cover was used by the factory on a late 356? 901 production was cooking at that time...

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Sean M Rooks wrote:That car was produced in March 1965 according to the COA. Is there any chance a 912 timing cover was used by the factory on a late 356? 901 production was cooking at that time...
I SINCERELY doubt that!

Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

#8 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

In spite of the engine issue, it looks like a pretty nice car, not the best work on the interior, but acceptable. The one thing I find somewhat offensive is the selling dealer says he can only go by what is on the paper. My guess he beat the seller down because of a non matching numbers engine now claims to not have knowledge or he got dupped. Either way, someone may get a good driving 356 that can be enjoyed until the crank breaks.
Rusty
Rusty

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug McDonnell »

As Jim Liberty says Buy the Seller not the car.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jim Nelson »

Doug, you made some great observations on that site, and if someone has gone to the trouble of making a 912 case look like an original matching numbers car, you really wonder what's inside. 912, or a Wayne Krieger bitsa ? Regardless of intention, the "I don't know anything but what's on the papers" attitude dropped this car's price like a rock. It would have sold better, I think, if they had left the 912 number on, but when one part of the deal really stinks, you wonder about whether you have any other surprises lurking. Too bad, it looked like a nice car, but the one act really did it in.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#11 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Thanks Jim but I didn't first notice the 912 timing cover then Vic Confirmed it. I never mentioned the incorrect hood seal installation, oil filter cover gas tank color etc. I just felt that BAT bidders should know what Tim B was hinting at with his California statute entry. It was obvious that the seller wasn't going to make things clear. It was also obvious that BAT wasn't going to change the numbers matching claim either-their BAD in my opinion. Lots of posts deserve credit-not just mine. @mhlcat really got the ball rolling with his or her astute observation that it was a 912 cover. I have no problem with people bidding as high as they want on any given car. I just don't like snake oil salesmen.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#12 Post by James Davies »

Here's the link in case anyone needs it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-porsche-356c-3/

George Hussey
356 Fan

#13 Post by George Hussey »

Certainly a very desirable car to own. The car has obviously had a lot more work done to it than disclosed, and just seeing the corrosion on the seat brackets and instrument bezels shows that it was stored in humidity. Driver quality only, but in my opinion a good value
George Hussey

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#14 Post by Adam Wright »

I think the market spoke on this one, under $100,000 for a running/driving open car is not matching numbers pricing. Still a great car and there is a lot of freedom in driving a car that will never be perfect.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#15 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Adam Wright wrote:Still a great car and there is a lot of freedom in driving a car that will never be perfect.
Hear hear. Couldn't agree more. There's a local fellow with a genuine Speedster and I rarely see it. He's too scared to drive it due to the rising value of the car. The beauty of our cars is that they're art and engineering combined. You stop using it as intended and the hobby gets boring.