It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:05 pm 
356 Fan

Cheers,
Has anybody installed the new stainless Stoddard/NLA exhaust system? How did it fit? Any leaks? How does it sound? Do you have any pictures? Pictures of the position of the tailpipe termination? I ask that question since some of us have cars with no bumper guards. Inquiring minds want to know!

Brad, are the 2/4 head pipes extended into the mufflers to equalize all 4 head pipe lengths?

https://www.stoddard.com/nla-111-010-05-ss.html.html

'63 GS 2133 coupe - very real
'67 S Original Owner - ultra real

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:36 pm 
356 Fan

CJ,

I have only briefly seen and driven a 912 with this exhaust. Sounds good and I experienced no flat spots in normal driving. However, I do not know about the internal construction of the mufflers or how far the pipes might go into each muffler. That type of info might be proprietary to Magnaflow (Car Sound Exhaust, Inc), the manufacturer of the system.

The exit pipes may be angled down slightly to clear the bumper if guards are not installed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:52 pm 
356 Fan

Thank you Brad. I have the factory cutouts but not the guards. That is how I originally built the car also using the normal Dansk muffler and custom made s-pipes of greater diameter and extended a bit more to make up for no funnels/guards. I really don't like the low position of the sport muffler pipes. Well, the Dansk failed, I tried a stainless Dansk that failed quicker and now I have a GDP sport muffler type that fits great, sounds fine, but looks stupid because I have 2 unused cutouts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:47 pm 
356 Fan

Hi CJ:

Since you have a similar displacement I thought I would ask about a replacement muffler. I have the Dansk sport muffler with the two chrome tailpipes , not in centre but further out from the middle. Only a few thousand miles. Muffler was not sealing well at the back of the engine allowing exhaust gas to escape. When removed the surface that attaches to the head was leaking due to not flat and not parallel .

When it was removed mechanic found a loose pipe rattling around inside the muffler . It was covered with carbon so there since it was made.

Since my engine was dyno tuned with the muffler I am not sure what my options are as far as replacement . In another section you mentioned big motors need a larger muffler.

The muffler had a good sound to it, not too loud. I have a factory muffler laying around but maybe too restrictive? What do you recomend?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:28 am 
356 Fan

For any exhaust you should use the Remflex gaskets that will compensate for most manufacturing defects to achieve a good seal.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rfl- ... ke/porsche

Big engines run well with the stock muffler. Mine made a little more on the engine dyno with a 4 into 1 open race exhaust but that is not practical on the street. A friend with a mild 1720cc tested the new Stoddard system against the GDP sport muffler and the GDP performed best. I was using a Dansk stainless stock type which was fine but it shook itself apart, developed cracks and broke welds. The big engines do put more stress on the muffler. I am now using a GDP sport muffler which is beautifully made and reasonably priced. http://usstore.concept1.ca/Porsche-356- ... WIN-62911/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:27 pm 
356 Fan

Has any one used A-1 Performance exhausts? I understand that "Tiger" does a lot of work with Porsche?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:09 pm 
356 Fan

I have one of "Tiger's" stinger exhausts. It has a few thousand miles on it. So far so good. Fits well, no leaks. It is pretty loud though if you have an open car.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:16 pm 
356 Fan

The Dansk on my 912 looks like a grenade went off inside it after 15k miles. Two holes and broken welds, explains all that backfiring. Anyone ever had any luck welding them back up?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:02 am 
356 Fan

chris romney wrote:
I have one of "Tiger's" stinger exhausts. It has a few thousand miles on it. So far so good. Fits well, no leaks. It is pretty loud though if you have an open car.

Do you have photos? I do have an open car and do not like loud mufflers. Does he make a quiet one?