Another Possible Scam

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Another Possible Scam

#31 Post by Mike Wilson »

I'll forward the topic to them.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#32 Post by Curt Dansby »

We are looking into a method to slow these scammers down. In the interim have any of you noticed the report button on the right of each ad? If you click on "report" it automatically sends an e-mail to Mary and Rhys.

(Vic I know you know about it - why didn't you report the ad rather than just posting on the thread?)

Curt

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#33 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Curt Dansby wrote:We are looking into a method to slow these scammers down. In the interim have any of you noticed the report button on the right of each ad? If you click on "report" it automatically sends an e-mail to Mary and Rhys.

(Vic I know you know about it - why didn't you report the ad rather than just posting on the thread?)

Curt
I figured getting the word out right away was more important. And didn't I "report" the two sequential ads?
I know you guys are doing the best you can, so I'm not complaining about you'all.

Gary Carriveau
356 Fan

#34 Post by Gary Carriveau »

Curt,
I see a report button on the forum thread entries but no report button on the ads.
Help??
I must be missing something.

Gary
Gary W. Carriveau
'64 C Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#35 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks, Curt.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Gary Carriveau
356 Fan

#36 Post by Gary Carriveau »

Curt,
Sorry for my confusion; now I see what you mean.
I thought that you meant that the report button was on the classified ad itself when it is displayed.

Gary
Gary W. Carriveau
'64 C Coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#37 Post by Martin Benade »

And if we report a legit ad I suppose it gets figured out with no harm done? I reported those even though I had no real information.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#38 Post by Curt Dansby »

I did not mean to be so harsh towards Vic. I was in a hurry on my way out the door this morning and did not know he had reported two ads later( I am not always copied). The same scammer was shut down again this morning before they were able to post(most of them are not that smart- more like gnats) If you report an ad that does not appear inaccurate or against the rules you will get an e-mail asking why you reported it. Your other option is to report and then send an additional e-mail outside of the report function to Rhys and or Mary laying out your suspicions.

Thanks
Curt

Gordon Maltby
Registry Hall of Fame

#39 Post by Gordon Maltby »

I'm not sure you guys know how much time and effort is already put into weeding out these bozos by Curt, Mary, Rhys and others. The scam ads don't last long on this forum; it's usually a matter of hours at most. You can help, however, by hitting that "report" button to alert us. And of course, don't even respond to these ads if it's clearly underpriced or too good to be true.

Regarding ten posts before you can sell something, I would oppose that. It's not unusual to have someone call or contact the membership office wanting to sell a car or some parts. We advise them that yes, you have to be a member to post but in the long run it's a better deal to spend $45 to sell your $100K car to a group of knowledgeable and collegial enthusiasts rather than go to eBay or other sites. Bottom line, we will have another member (even if for only a year) and our members get first crack at buying a car or whatever they're selling. Win-win. We also advise these potential sellers to contact Registry members in their area for reference to appraisals, repairs, etc, so very often more revenue is generated for members who have shops or do PPIs.

I believe these types of new members - or even long time members who may have never used the classifieds - would be put off by a requirement for multiple posts or to somehow prove themselves before selling on the classifieds. Remember, we are an organization of people who have paid membership dues and have some skin in the game, not any anybody-can-post website. To a great extent it's self-regulating - as this thread proves.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#40 Post by Vic Skirmants »

" I believe these types of new members - or even long time members who may have never used the classifieds - would be put off by a requirement for multiple posts or to somehow prove themselves before selling on the classifieds. Remember, we are an organization of people who have paid membership dues and have some skin in the game, not any anybody-can-post website. To a great extent it's self-regulating - as this thread proves."
+1 Gordon.