P.E.P 3 point retractable seat belts not retracting

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

P.E.P 3 point retractable seat belts not retracting

#1 Post by Alex Mestas »

Today I discovered that my passengers side P.E.P 3 point retractable seat belt is not retracting. Has anyone had this issue? I wonder if it could be reset so it retracts again. I think one of my grandkids pulled it out to far and now it won’t retract. I took the cover off but I couldn’t figure out how it operates. TIA for any advice.

Alex
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Jim Neil
356 Fan

Re: P.E.P 3 point retractable seat belts not retracting

#2 Post by Jim Neil »

It's too long ago for me to remember the details, but I recall the same thing happened to me many years ago, and P.E.P. had the solution - buy a replacement.
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Wick McConnon
356 Fan

#3 Post by Wick McConnon »

I'd like to install 3-point retractable seat belts, and have seen several references to "P.E.P.". What do those letters stand for , and could you please tell me who sells them? Thanks!

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

Precision Engineered Products. They have a website but I didn't see a search product box. My set, bought years ago, had a label on the webbing from Belt Makers in Torrance, CA.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

I would suggest seat belt planet in Oklahoma. I bought my last set there and am more than happy with them.
https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/?&gclid= ... pEQAvD_BwE
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Glen Getchell »

I too bought my 356 Seat Belts from Seat Belt Planet numerous years back. Recently I was looking at their web site and it appears that their prices have increased substantially. I had mine custom made as there was not to my memory a belt already available for the car or one that I liked. For several years I recommended 356 owners to call and order the "Getchell set up" and several did. The "Getchell set up" may be the exact belts that they now offer for the 356. I don't know. One of the advantages of the Seat Belt Planet belts was the smaller retractor which provides more luggage space.

While my belts are working, I would say that they could work a little better. It sometimes takes numerous pulls to get them extended enough to put on. And I feel wear on the edge of the driver belt itself. They are probably 10 to 15 years old now.

I would still consider seat belt planet, but would want to re-research them if I was in the market. Back when I bought from them, they seemed to not only be the best option based on design, but the best price as well. However, based on the prices I saw on their web page just recently while looking for belts for my 65 Vette, I am not so sure they are still the best option. But I would still certainly look into them before purchasing

Glen
64Cx2

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#7 Post by Wes Bender »

The PEP inertia reels are a little hesitant in extending too, especially when it's cold out. Back in the sixties I used to use only the conventional lap belts, but they were never tested in combat.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

Same problem with the inertia reels. I asked Belt Makers about it and they can be reworked but it's cost prohibitive. I think it might be the angle of the reel when mounted on the side.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Alex Mestas
356 Fan

#9 Post by Alex Mestas »

18 months ago I discovered that my passenger side P.E.P. retractable belt was no longer retracting. I contacted P.E.P. but unfortunately my only remedy was to buy a new one.

The problem was that the housing style had changed. As a result of initiating this tread, I was contacted by a Registry member who happened to have a working one like mine so I bought it from him. What I suspect was that I should not have locked the belt on the seat when not in use. The constant locking possibly caused the belt to fail. I now keep both sides unlocked when not in use. Just my hunch as to why it stopped retracting.
Alex

Steve Turino
356 Fan

#10 Post by Steve Turino »

I would also like to put 3 point belts in my coupe. PEP website is not coming up from vendor page of google search. Seat belt planet does come up. Is $300 +or - about right?
1961 T5 Super Coupe
2013 Boxster S

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#11 Post by Mike Wilson »

Sounds right for the pair, Steve.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Alex Mestas
356 Fan

#12 Post by Alex Mestas »

For clarification P.E.P. Is no longer in business. It was
Professionally Engineered Products aka P.E.P.
1119-A Los Olivos Avenue
Los Osos, California 93402-3232
Telephone: 805.528.7888
Fax: 805.528.7887

It is Now:
GoWesty
1119 Los Olivos Ave.
Los Osos, California, 93402 U.S.A.
(888) GOWESTY / 888-469-3789
Email: sales@gowesty.com
https://www.gowesty.com/search-results. ... =Seatbelts+

They have retractable seatbelts for Volkswagen but I’m not sure for Porsche.

Alex

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#13 Post by Glen Getchell »

Well as I said previously, Seat Belt Planet is not quite the deal they used to be. I found my old receipt and in 2010 I paid $156 for the set of retractable belts in my 356 C Coupe. And as previously stated these belts were custom ordered. So in ten years their price has doubled. I can't speak to if $300 is a good price today, but I put the numbers in a inflation calculator and it showed that the price I paid should be closer $185 today. So $300 seems like a pretty hefty price increase if I do say so myself. Me, I would be shopping prices.

Glen
64Cx2