The 356 coming to an end or just beginning?

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
John Lindstrom
356 Fan

The 356 coming to an end or just beginning?

#1 Post by John Lindstrom »

1B1C84AB-3895-46CB-9C72-4CFBE4CBABAB.jpeg
1B1C84AB-3895-46CB-9C72-4CFBE4CBABAB.jpeg (13.11 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gGel2PL1C ... ontinue=83

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: The 356 coming to an end or just beginning?

#2 Post by David Jones »

Neither John. It is just another replica which loses all the character of the 356 and even more than it would with a VW engine. No way would anyone with a genuine respect for the 356 be satisfied with this. My 60 hp 59 cabrio is infinitely more satisfying to drive even with all it's almost 60 year old quirks than any replica. I say it again, not a beginning of anything, just another replica.
I do applaud them for making it but I doubt many will get built and it will probably only make the price of original open 356's rise even more.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

Yeah, just another soul-less replica, they aren't special if you can order a new one tomorrow. The only good thing about all the replica's out there is it's at least something interesting on the road, nothing interesting about most cars on the road today.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Lindstrom »

At least this is better than the soulless Tesla. I hate the Tesla with a passion. Especially because I know the folks behind the curtain. What a scam!

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

John Lindstrom wrote:At least this is better than the soulless Tesla. I hate the Tesla with a passion. Especially because I know the folks behind the curtain. What a scam!
They sure are popular in the bay area and Nor Cal, I've never seen so many Tesla's than I have in the last week.

But I did have a cool chance happening out here. I was out this way in a tiny town 8 years ago buying Porsches and parts, and I saw the Mystery Machine, aka the Scooby mobile. I mentioned it to the kids and my son spotted it again, what are the odds!
Attachments
myst18.JPG
myst1-1.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#6 Post by Larry Brooks »

John Lindstrom wrote:At least this is better than the soulless Tesla. I hate the Tesla with a passion. Especially because I know the folks behind the curtain. What a scam!

Do you suppose that is the same things our great grand parents said a century ago when cars became more and more popular? Like it or not, combustion engined cars will go the same way as old Nellie and the buggy. Virtually every car manufacturer, including Porsche, understands what the future portends and is moving that direction as quickly as possible.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#7 Post by David Jones »

Larry, you are correct and I am all for electric power in the future but I cannot accept an electric battery powered replica Porsche 356 than I could a replica Spitfire or Mustang powered by an electric motor. The sound of the Porsche flat four is as much a part of the car as would be a RR Merlin in the aircraft. That surely is an unarguable statement.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#8 Post by Larry Brooks »

I agree on the replicas being kind of silly for the most part, but anyone who has driven a Tesla hard in the Ludicrous mode can see the handwriting on the wall. Performance got Porsche out of the gates decades ago and that formula still applies. Like Tesla or not, their cars are phenomenal.

We all had to adjust decades ago when most soccer moms in a minivan could blow our doors off. Now 911's, Ferrari's, Lambo's, etc are facing the new reality when a Tesla S pulls up along side them at a light.

Our 356's are still as fun as ever, but we are in a different world around us.

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#9 Post by John Lindstrom »

Everybody I know drives a brand spanking new 1 ton 4 wheel drive crew cab duality with extra everything on it. Nobody that I know would be seen dead in a Tesla or any other electric car. Car manufacturers continue to give people what they want. The elite may want us to all drive computerized electric cars in the future to allow them even more control and surveillance capability, but there will always be gas and diesel powered vehicles for heavy construction, mining, etc. Recent technology, specifically Solar, has made off the grid living feasible as well as electric vehicles in some areas, allowing those who choose to drive right by the gas station every day. I personally have 2 solar systems that I absolutely love. I can see that the day could arrive, if they ever do actually improve batteries significantly, that more and more older vehicles convert to electric generative motors. From a Physics point of view it does kind of sort of make sense.

The mystery machine could carry a lot of batteries!

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

There will always be those exploring alternative power plants whether they be steam, gasoline, diesel, electric or hybrid and chasing horsepower and torque with increased cc's and/or adapted 911 engines. Keep in mind Porsche's Loehner and the one that just kicked butt at the 'Ring. People will try to apply modern technology to achieve the desired goal.

We've talked about replicas before. For some, they are an affordable alternate to a real 356. At some point, they may be able to purchase a restored 356 or have the funds to restore one. They are no less enthusiastic about the marque and no replica owner I've ever talked to has tried to pawn it off as a real 356.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#11 Post by Emil Wojcik »

At least it has Intermeccanica badging, although I'll bet most of them ending up with Speedster script and Porsche logos in the end.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

Or one of those "wide bodied" monstrosities!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#13 Post by John Lindstrom »

Yikes!

David Nicholls
356 Fan
Tag: 56 Coupe #56209

#14 Post by David Nicholls »

When the latest version of the Boxster was launched in Australia, one of the official Porsche dealers here in Sydney asked me if they could use my McRae Spyder in their showroom, to help them promote the new vehicle.
They must have liked it, I couldn't care.

Regards
David
Attachments
image.jpg

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#15 Post by Ron LaDow »

Mike Wilson wrote:...no replica owner I've ever talked to has tried to pawn it off as a real 356.
Mike
When some one puts a "Plastic Fake" badge on the car, I'll accept the attempt at honesty.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz