After market cabriolet frame problems

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Max Handley
356 Fan

After market cabriolet frame problems

#1 Post by Max Handley »

Anyone beside me have difficulty getting the aftermarket cab. Soft-top frame to fit properly. I sent my 1959 cab. To one of the best in the industry with my aftermarket cab. Frame and he couldn’t get it to fold out correctly. The problem is where the frame hinges in the middle of the side windows . It doesn’t fold out flat but rather leaves a slight V. Here’s some pics to show you the area. Needless to say I’ve spent a great deal of $$ to get the top made and installed but perplexed as to why this condition exists and why it couldn’t be addressed before the canvas top was made and installed. I believe this is the same cab. Frame that has been in production for a few years now, mine came with the car about 6 years ago. My amature guess would be the frame needed to go higher in the back where it bolts to the B frame. Looking at it it appears to have been bolted at the frames utmost position. Before I sent it to the upholster on the floor I was able to fold out the frame so it laid out correctly without this condition. I never bolted the frame to the car so didn’t check it installed.

Thanks for any insight & much appreciated.
Attachments
EEDC186F-C8A1-4229-ABB1-2E61D055A016.jpeg
38B49637-B9F7-4420-8BB1-D7A26D45E74B.jpeg
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: After market cabriolet frame problems

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

Have you tried fooling with the turnbuckles on the sides? They have something to do with the angle at the rear corner of the side glass (I think). They may be able to help your condition. When I had my top frame was on the car and bare, I played a little with them. I couldn't say exactly what they did, I ended up with them back about where they started. Hopefully someone else understands their function better.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Max Handley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Max Handley »

Thanks Martin, yes I’ve tried that to no avail at least with the frame still bolted tight to the B pillars. Is it possible you have to loosen the B pillar nuts and the adjust the turnbuckles to get that adjustment to work properly ??

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

I don't think that would help, there is not much adjustment at the holes.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#5 Post by Larry Brooks »

How many shims do you have between the b-pillar and the top mounting bracket? You might loosen the nuts and see if that helps, if it does, add shims. Restoration Design # PP152F

Max Handley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Max Handley »

Thanks Larry I’ll give that a try. I’ll be surprised if it works as the upholsterer is one of the best in the industry and I’d think he would have thought to do this as I remember him discussing the shims with me. But hey who knows maybe it got forgotten in the process, as these shops are busy and “Shit Happens”.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

Mine is presently loosened as a couple more shims are needed, but at least in my case the only difference is that it will make it easier to align/latch the front . The sides are straight as they should be.
Did they do the top off the car?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Max Handley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Max Handley »

Fixed . Needed to shorten the arm into the turnbuckles to allow more adjustment. Both sides.

To clarify I had to remove the turn buckle assembly, unscrew the upper or lower arm ( either one will due) cut 3/4 “ out of arm re-weld and assemble. I found the lower arm was the preferred one to shorten as it a straighter shot to the turnbuckle. Once reassembled & attached to the frame I was able to get further adjustment of the hinged joint ,allowing it to come up to a better position.

Not sure why this was necessary but when I received this frame ( it was new) the lower arm going into the turn buckle on the drivers side had been cut clean. I guess this was a clue ?
Attachments
385B21CC-3878-4803-B1AE-CA02A1C12E56.jpeg