Oil canister bolt and spring

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Simon Whittley
356 Fan

Oil canister bolt and spring

#1 Post by Simon Whittley »

So for this years oil change on my '59 356A I decided it's time to paint my oil canister in the correct colour scheme (was previously badly painted all black).
I removed the oil canister lid bolt and spring assembly. However on reassembly it's basically not fitting. There is the ridge at the top of the bolt which prevents the bolt from going all the way though the hole in the top of the lid. Unfortunately I didn't pay enough attention when I took it all apart, however now it seems as though the bolt won't go all the way through the hole, but not sure if it is supposed to?
Have attached a photo, is anyone able to advise me?

Also, when dismantling it all I found I had 2 gaskets between the canister and the lid, but I'm not sure if this was by accident or intentionally. My new Mahle cartridge came with a "seal" is this all that is required? A quick look at Stoddard website for example lists an Oil Seal, an Oil Filter canister gasket and an oil filter housing gasket, are these all basically the same thing or are 2 or 3 seals, gaskets required?

Sorry what feels like a silly question, oddly this isn't the first time I've replaced the cartridge but it is the first time I've taken the whole assembly apart for a thorough cleaning and paint.
It's always the quick job cause all the bother I thought I'd be enjoying a lovely summers evening drive by now :?
Attachments
IMG_5746.JPG
Simon

Spike Jones
356 Fan

Re: Oil canister bolt and spring

#2 Post by Spike Jones »

Simon,You should have a copper washer between the bolt head and the canister.
Maybe you misplaced it when you took it apart...been there, done that.
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

Simon Whittley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Simon Whittley »

Thank you for the reply Spike. On further inspection the copper washer is on the bolt, however I think I can see what the issue might be.
The wider collar at the top of the bolt is pretty chewed up (to the extent that the copper washer doesn't come off over the collar). And now I recall the spring was almost threaded onto the bolt collar when I dismantled it all.
So it basically sounds like it wasn't all configured correctly in the first place, assuming the collar is supposed to fit snuggly through the hole in the canister lid, with the spring contained under the lid and not poking through the top, it sounds like all I need to do is a bit of filing of the collar to smooth it off and allow it to fit.

Anyone able to answer my query on the number of seals, gaskets between the canister and the lid?

Thanks again.
Simon

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

Only one seal or gasket. Depending on lid depends what fits properly, the rubber type of seal fits best and sometimes the composite gasket will not fit at all. There are some indentations in the groove in the lid that hold the seal in place.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Simon Whittley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Simon Whittley »

Thanks David
Simon

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jon Schmid »

I've had good luck with the seal that comes with Wix 51010 filters FWIW.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dick Weiss »

Simon,

The lid--having the approx. 15-degree lip angle--is an H filter & not a Fram. The bolt has 10 x 1,25 threads and uses
the larger 16 x 22 copper washer for sealing.

Dick

Simon Whittley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Simon Whittley »

Many thanks Dick. so this will explain why the new copper washer I ordered doesn't fit :(
So back to the drawing board with the paint and transfers then...
Simon

Simon Whittley
356 Fan

#9 Post by Simon Whittley »

On that point Dick, why the difference? Is the Fram factory spec and H Filter aftermarket? or other way round or no rhyme or reason at all?
Simon

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#10 Post by David Jones »

Simon, this will help with understanding 356 oil filters.
https://porsche356registry.org/article/230
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#11 Post by Dick Weiss »

Simon,

The lid for the Fram is stamped from 3,2mmm thick material and has its lid edge straight-sided(90 degrees)
and recessed for a flat rubber gasket--the paper gasket won't work! The hold-down spring is(was?) attached
to the groove on the bolt which uses the 12 x 18 copper gasket.

The lid for the H is stamped from 2,8mm thick material and has the 15 degree inward angle and its recess
for the flat paper gasket has to be carefully fitted past the smaller edge diameter; Some rubber gaskets
slightly vary in size--be sure they seat fully on the flat surface, and the bolt uses the 16 x 22 copper gasket.

I don't have a Mann filter available for refs.

Dick

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#12 Post by Dick Weiss »

BTW, Simon;

I neglected to add--both lids have the same outer diameter, but the H's inner diameter is slightly larger
due to its thinner material for the paper gasket (if avalable)
If using a rubber gasket, don't overtighten the lid which would crush and likely cut the rubber!

Dick