Reverse gear selection

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Clarke
356 Fan

Reverse gear selection

#1 Post by John Clarke »

Hi all.
Our clutch pedal has always been missing the stop bracket. As this may allow damage to the clutch by over travel, I made and fitted a bracket. We can select all the forward gears and change gears with no crunching, but when we stop and try to select reverse it won't go in gear, with gear teeth grating! Don't know what goes on in the box in neutral.
Should I just adjust the stop pedal bracket a little lower to allow more clutch disengagement? Never had this grating noise without the clutch pedal stop bracket.
Thanks for any replies
Jay

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

Re: Reverse gear selection

#2 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

go for it

John Clarke
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Clarke »

Thanks Jacques
I will give it another 15mm or so travel. You are into transmissions Jacques, what is actually turning in the box with Neutral selected and the clutch depressed? The grinding gears sounded awful!
Cheers Jay

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Vic Skirmants »

You meant adjust the bracket higher.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi John
if the clutch is not depressed enough or the pilot bearing is binding the mainshaft is turning. the reverse gear on the mainshaft is not engaging the idler which has two gears since the corresponding gear on the pinion is stopped hence the noise until the mainshaft is stopped as if the engine was not turning.
j

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#6 Post by David Jones »

Check the trans oil level. If it is not high enough there is no drag on the first motion shaft with the clutch in and I think that can allow the idler gear to keep turning and there is no synchro on reverse of course.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

John Clarke
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Clarke »

Hi
Thanks to all for the advice.
I adjusted the stop bracket up, to give another 15mm pedal travel down to properly disengage. No crunching of gears now, that's a relief. The pedal now goes down to the pedal board. Reference the oil levels David. The car went to PR services last year to have its gearbox leaks fixed. It's all dry underneath now, so I trust them to have put enough oil back in the box. Good point though, thanks.
Cheers Jay