Advice needed - rebuild or replace engine

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Advice needed - rebuild or replace engine

#16 Post by Martin Benade »

If the unflattering information about him is fact, not opinion, it would seem like he should be named for all to see.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Gordon Watkins
356 Fan

#17 Post by Gordon Watkins »

Would my 3rd piece be interchangeable with any 356 or 912 engine? If, as suggested, I kept my third piece and found another complete C/SC/912 engine could I simply switch 3rd pieces or are there any issues I should be aware of?
Gordon Watkins
1963 356B Super Coupe w/912/SC engine
1986 911 Carrera

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#18 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Your 3rd piece should fit any 356 C/SC and I think 912 engine also. I know 912 3rd piece has to be modified to use in 356 but think 356 on 912 is fine. Earlier engines with small oil pump are the exception but doubt you would want one of those.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#19 Post by Greg Bryan »

The reason I edited out personal information in this and other similar cases is that posters can’t seem to pass on sharing hearsay information - there’s enough information left in the post so that if a person really wants to research, the information will be found.
If you have first hand experience, feel free to share the information. Otherwise, you don’t know what you’re talking about.
I do not know the individual, I’ve never bought anything from him. His retputation precedes him, so no need to mention his name.
Greg Bryan

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#20 Post by Greg Bryan »

Again, only share first hand experiences
Greg Bryan

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#21 Post by Edwin Ek »

Greg,

I sent you an email. I am posting here also. (Personal information deleted by moderator) Is Chuck still a trustee? His posts are not about his firsthand experiences. Do a general search too, here and on other Porsche boards. Perhaps the scales will fall from your eyes.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#22 Post by Greg Bryan »

Edwin - I said I will suspend you if you keep posting the name and you continue.
I made myself clear - if you don’t have first hand experience, then stop
Yes, I have heard of the individual referred to in the posts and I don’t need a lesson from you.
Second hand, dog-pile-on-the-rabbit accounts are not allowed while I’m moderator. People can do their own research.
Let’s hear your first hand experience with the individual
Greg Bryan

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#23 Post by Martin Benade »

Greg, sounds fair enough. We are still welcome to PM others with second-hand accounts, it's just not allowed here publicly.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#24 Post by Greg Bryan »

Martin - thank you for your reasonable reply
Greg Bryan

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#25 Post by Ron LaDow »

Greg, given the age, this might not be considered valid, but it is first-person:
Punk kid, trying to start a company, 1500 in a dented Speedster loses the oil-pump drive tang; needs rebuild. This is late '60s. Guy offers 'good - used' P/C sets for even less than NPRs, I buy a set and put it together, and I do so trusting, since 4" mics at that time are nearly the cost of the P/C set.
Wanna know what that harvesting thresher sounds like? Buy and fit one of his 'good - used' P/C sets; Kansas in autumn!
He never got another penny from me.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#26 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Guys
I feel sorry for the individuals that have to consider this question. Back in the day of the Type I VW you could buy rebuilt engines from VW or reputable rebuiders the parts were available and there were machine shops that did efficient fairly precise work for little money. There were many "factory" trained mechanics and real engine builders that would do custom engines. Now the better engine builders have moved on to newer engines and the machine shops are not tooled to do air-cooled work. The parts situation is better than could have been expected for the time that has passed. Yes there are a few shops that are addressing the situation but the daily driver keep my engine going days are gone.
j

Eric Wills
356 Fan

#27 Post by Eric Wills »

I have asked one of my customers to post here. He had quite the interesting first hand experience with the person mentioned previously. Maybe more of a fist hand in the "bottom" end of the engine area. I fixed it, but he bought the engine, so I'll let him talk.
Eric Wills

C J Murray
356 Fan

#28 Post by C J Murray »

Jim Liberty and a few others here have a favorite saying, "buy the seller". This is especially good advice when buying something like a rebuilt engine that can vary so dramatically in quality in ways that can't be seen.

As for buying used engines from anybody...the seller does not know what is inside unless they have had the engine apart recently or they have used the engine a fair distance recently. You are taking a gamble and there may be any number of issues that may render it mostly useless.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#29 Post by Dick Weiss »

Gordon,

You can use your 356 3rd piece on a 912 case, but you'll need to exchange 2-studs on the upper right side & the 2nd lower stud
on the left side to suit the shorter bosses; I using a 912 3rd piece on a 356 case (having the same length studs), you don't
add spacers on the 3-long studs, but have the bosses cut down to the same height as the others. The extra 45-degree face/web reinforcements will slightly show behind the pulley, but it doesn't matter, unless your car (& engine) is a 100 pointer.
(Then there's the case numbers--irrelevant for a driver)

Dick (I've done several)

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#30 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Given that you have a budget and probably much of it has gone on doing other bits on the car. I'm not an expert but the leak down figures seem ok. The motor was zippy 20 years ago and it has been stored well. Put it back it, enjoy the car for a bit then decide if you are missing zoom and want to rebuild. Might give you time to save up?