OT Perhaps - Tariffs and Porsche

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Jim Beam
356 Fan

OT Perhaps - Tariffs and Porsche

#1 Post by Jim Beam »

Not to get political, but I am just wondering how Trump's tariffs will impact the price of a Porsche? Both new and used.
1963B (T6) Coupe
1987 3.2 Carrera
1985 FJ60 Landcruiser
1993 Miata

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

Re: OT Perhaps - Tariffs and Porsche

#2 Post by Jules Dielen »

spare parts will be $$ i heard.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#3 Post by Paul Lima »

Read the painful detail here. tRump has declared war on our allies, and German cars and parts are early targets
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 20.54.26 .png

C J Murray
356 Fan

#4 Post by C J Murray »

I have had EU people approach me to buy a 356 from me and start whining about all the tax they would have to pay and could I consider that during the negotiation. Who cares? Not my problem! In the EU taxing anything that moves is the norm. The EU has traditionally imposed substantial tariffs for access to their markets. The Brussels cartel likes the cash flow. Everybody pays. Companies from the outside suffer.

The US asked our "trading partners" to drop ALL tariffs and the US would respond in kind. They laughed. We imposed higher tariffs. We are going through a process that I believe will end with the US in a much more favorable position because our trading partners want access to our market. In the end, tariffs will be less than ever and Americans can compete on a level field.

Why is no one here concerned about the China/US tariff situation? China is no different from the EU other than the lack of Chinese car brand marque clubs in the US.

Instead of looking at this from an individual self centered point of view, and jumping to conclusions, lets see if ultimately all tariffs imposed by our trading partners aren't reduced and America as a whole benefits from the new fair trade.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#5 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Paul
Our allies have thought nothing of charging the US high tariffs for decades. Why should they not be challenged?
They can adjust their tariffs lower and a compromise can be made.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dan Epperly »

Not too many parts come from Europe, its tariffs on China and Mexico that are going to hit us.

Herlin E. Woolery
356 Fan

#7 Post by Herlin E. Woolery »

+ 1 for CJ, Geoff

John Wurner
356 Fan

#8 Post by John Wurner »

+1 fro CJ.
A relative that lives in Norway paid exactly double the price of a new Jeep as compared to our prices in the US.
Change is needed.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#9 Post by Joris Koning »

'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#10 Post by David Jones »

The reality is that we in the US in general have more discretionary income than the general population in Europe therefore we will spend more money buying the goods produced there, plus the quality of some of their goods is better than the equivalent US made product. When it comes to cars one may look and see that a new boxster for instance costs about the same in the UK as it does here in the US. Most US made cars will not even fit on the roads where I grew up so no matter the price will not sell over there. I doubt an F350 dually or similar is a common sight over there.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

C J Murray
356 Fan

#11 Post by C J Murray »

Joris Koning wrote:An interesting perspective here https://www.google.es/amp/s/www.bloombe ... statistics
I read the Bloomberg article and was amused to see them utilize their projection of a dynamic model of the results of the tariffs. These are the same people who refuse to employ a dynamic model of the results of tax cuts whereby they adamantly profess that tax cuts reduce government revenue. NOTE, tax cuts have caused record revenues to our government in recent months.

As I got to the next Bloomberg article proclaiming how China is going to collapse our economy in retaliation for our tariffs I just couldn't waste my time any further.

We have offered to have no tariffs at all. Why don't our "trading partners" take us up on that? Are they afraid they can't compete with America?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

C J Murray
356 Fan

#12 Post by C J Murray »

The tariffs are a negotiating tool. WE are not the society that loves tariffs, THEY are! They can enjoy zero tariffs but they have to share and play nice in the sandbox. If they want to play in our very nice sandbox then they ought to welcome us to their nice sandbox. I think this will end fairly well but we haven't even begun the serious negotiating. Other countries are not liking the idea of equality after all these decades of playing us for suckers. I will be very surprised if they don't come around.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#13 Post by Vic Skirmants »

C J Murray wrote:The tariffs are a negotiating tool. WE are not the society that loves tariffs, THEY are! They can enjoy zero tariffs but they have to share and play nice in the sandbox. If they want to play in our very nice sandbox then they ought to welcome us to their nice sandbox. I think this will end fairly well but we haven't even begun the serious negotiating. Other countries are not liking the idea of equality after all these decades of playing us for suckers. I will be very surprised if they don't come around.
Yay, Cliff. Missing you here at Mid-Ohio; of course it's raining.

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#14 Post by Craig Richter »

Another yay for Cliff. Joris, nobody pays attention to Bloomberg anymore...

James Learmonth
356 Fan

#15 Post by James Learmonth »

What am I missing here? If we put a Tariff on products that we need or want we will continue to buy them. Maybe a new Porsche or parts for an old one. The tariff then is paid by the willing purchaser. That's us. Tell me why this is a good idea that I should support.

Jim