Problems With Stoddard Emails - My End or Their End?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Nanette Reid
356 Fan

Problems With Stoddard Emails - My End or Their End?

#1 Post by Nanette Reid »

Love the fact that these guys, along with other vendors, are offering easy access to parts for those of us who don't live in the USA/EU etc.

My biggest gripe though is to do with postage costs - why can't they give a calculator on their site?? Other vendors do and many offer more than one choice.

Having to email every time you need a part is not only tedious but also proving to be an exercise in futility - have sent at least 3 in the past 6 weeks for the same parts, still no reply. Heads up guys - if you expect your OS customers to get in touch for postal costs, please do us the courtesy and answer them.

As it stands, I've decided to go with another vendor (I need the parts now, not in another 6 weeks), but it would be nice to have the opportunity to support all vendors and simply answering your emails, would certainly be a way to ensure this happens.

E Rutherford
356 Fan

Re: Problems With Stoddard Emails - My End or Their End?

#2 Post by E Rutherford »

Before throwing a vendor under the bus, first decide what issue you want to complain about. Is it shipping or emails?
Shipping - Not every vendor uses a shipping calculator for various reasons. Calculators typically inflate shipping costs, which is why we don't use them.

Email - Just because you send an email or several, doesn't mean that the vendor is receiving them and ignoring them. There are a large number of factors that determine whether or not emails reach their destination. Not to mention those coming in from overseas.

99% of the people involved in our 356 community are good people and do want help others in the community. So if things aren't going your way, take a break, come back and find a solution that works for you (which you did).

You get way more bees with honey than vinegar!

Per Schroeder
356 Fan

#3 Post by Per Schroeder »

Hi Nanette, Sorry to hear of your issues getting through to us. What email address are you using to contact us?

From a shipping calculator perspective, we have yet to find one that properly calculates the incredibly wide variety of weights and sizes of what we can ship in a single order. Want a windshield or hood shipped? --great, we can calculate that exactly. What about a windshield and a crankshaft...and a door...and a bolt...and a whatever.........the online calculators can't keep up with that level of complexity so that it's reasonably accurate. And then you throw in international shipping...and duties... That's why we say we will figure it out after it's all boxed up safely. We're working on some possible workarounds--but that's where we are at now.
Per Schroeder
Stoddard
LA Lit Meet Organizer

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron LaDow »

Per Schroeder wrote:...From a shipping calculator perspective, we have yet to find one that properly calculates the incredibly wide variety of weights and sizes of what we can ship in a single order...
We provide O-seas shipping costs several times a week, and the calcs are a slog, even when you know the size and weight. And believe me, you do not want to consider paying the 'retail' price, which is what you'd get absent the shipper's discount.
Often, it's a pass, since the shipping can be near the parts price. But they all get priced.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

One way to ease the shipping burden is to do consolidated shipments. I used to do this with parts when I was working in manufacturing. Get the customer to understand that I could significantly reduce cost of shipping if they could wait until a pre-scheduled shipping date to that particular country. Unfortunately this is reliant on getting enough orders to make it worthwhile to make up a larger shipment of parts. Of course this is also dependent on the shipper having an overseas agent who could receive then distribute the parts.
The logistics are not easy.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Nanette Reid
356 Fan

#6 Post by Nanette Reid »

E Rutherford wrote:Before throwing a vendor under the bus, first decide what issue you want to complain about. Is it shipping or emails?
Shipping - Not every vendor uses a shipping calculator for various reasons. Calculators typically inflate shipping costs, which is why we don't use them.

Email - Just because you send an email or several, doesn't mean that the vendor is receiving them and ignoring them. There are a large number of factors that determine whether or not emails reach their destination. Not to mention those coming in from overseas.

99% of the people involved in our 356 community are good people and do want help others in the community. So if things aren't going your way, take a break, come back and find a solution that works for you (which you did).

You get way more bees with honey than vinegar!
I was not "throwing a vendor under a bus" - rather expressing my issues with shipping and email. They are connected for those of us based overseas who need to send emails to get shipping costs, unlike the US, who have their charges calculated prior to purchase.

I fully appreciate that not all vendors can provide a shipping estimate - my problem is quite simply that I accept this, yet my emails via the address provided are simply left unanswered. If a vendor needs a buyer to contact them to get a price for shipping all well and good - happy to do so, but to leave such inquiries unanswered is *not* conducive to a great shopping experience. I have used Stoddards before, and I will certainly use them again, but this really does need to be addressed - they offer this service, yet don't follow up.

IMHO if my questioning of this unfortunate failure of their system is seen as "throwing someone under a bus" by some in the 356 community that is rather unfortunate. Such issues with systems will never be addressed and attended to, thus ensuring a happy outcome for all, if emails remain unanswered.

If I caused offence, I apologise, it was not my intention. Rather I wished to draw attention to an obvious problem with OS shipping & unanswered emails, which go hand-in-hand in this particular case.

Nanette Reid
356 Fan

#7 Post by Nanette Reid »

Per Schroeder wrote:Hi Nanette, Sorry to hear of your issues getting through to us. What email address are you using to contact us?

From a shipping calculator perspective, we have yet to find one that properly calculates the incredibly wide variety of weights and sizes of what we can ship in a single order. Want a windshield or hood shipped? --great, we can calculate that exactly. What about a windshield and a crankshaft...and a door...and a bolt...and a whatever.........the online calculators can't keep up with that level of complexity so that it's reasonably accurate. And then you throw in international shipping...and duties... That's why we say we will figure it out after it's all boxed up safely. We're working on some possible workarounds--but that's where we are at now.
That's great Per - I understand completely and appreciate the complexities. The address I have been using off your website: parts@stoddard.com

The problem I have is that when requesting a quote, the emails have been ignored or they aren't getting through - 3 emails in 6 weeks and not one reply? My apologies if my initial post came across as harsh, but it is frustrating. I try to get parts when our $ is strong so getting a reply in a few days is really helpful, waiting weeks on end, is not.

I'll certainly buy parts from you guys again, you offer a great service! :D There are no problems there at all, but perhaps an investigation is warranted to discover why some emails regarding shipping are either a) not arriving or b) being overlooked.

Per Schroeder
356 Fan

#8 Post by Per Schroeder »

Ok--I am tracking down why we don't see any emails to Parts@stoddard.com from your address. I searched all of the folders for that address and nada...might be getting caught at the server level.
Per Schroeder
Stoddard
LA Lit Meet Organizer