Accelerator linkage boot

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alan Winer
356 Fan

Accelerator linkage boot

#1 Post by Alan Winer »

After spending the better part of the afternoon trying to fit this simple part, I seek information and advice on how to install the accelerator linkage boot (326-23-204) on to the rear of the tunnel. I have siliconed it, pulled it with pliers, tried a hook device, but the #!!X#!! will not fit over the extension. This boot is used behind the gauges for the tach and speedo cable, but it sure doesn't seem to fit (it's not even close to the right size) on the rear of the tunnel to protect the accelerator rod opening. Stoddard has confirmed that this is the correct part. :?
Alan
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 3.40.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 3.40.50 PM.png (34.1 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
Last edited by Alan Winer on Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Accelerator linkage boot

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Alan I heat it up in a glass of water in the microwave.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Alan Winer
356 Fan

#3 Post by Alan Winer »

Thanks Doug, but I tried heat. It made no difference.
Alan

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

My trick for boots: invert the end (turn it inside out). Then push it up against the tube and roll it over the tube.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Steve Turino
356 Fan

#5 Post by Steve Turino »

I used Mike's trick (unbeknownst to me at the time) when I put a new shifter coupler boot on a few weeks ago. Might not work however if boot is grossly undersized.
1961 T5 Super Coupe
2013 Boxster S

Alan Winer
356 Fan

#6 Post by Alan Winer »

The roll over/invert maneuver does not work with this boot. It's end is extremely thick and undersized. I just got tired of screwing with it, so I cut off the thick end and inserted the boot into the flared extension and set it with 3M Black Weatherstrip Adhesive. It's tight and sealed and isn't going anywhere. This piece is a mis-fit. Stoddard says I am the first to complain, can't understand that!
Alan

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

I have found several parts that do not fit or do not fit well. I also suspect a change in the composition of rubber products that don't lend them to easy installation. Other parts need "massaging" to fit properly like the left side hinge cover. One personal peeve of mine is the size of the rivet on the T-6 horn grill. Gigantic compared to the original. It can't be that difficult to source the correct size rivet.

I recently ran into the same problem trying to install the round rubber boot on the bulkhead for the emergency brake cable. A royal PITA. It, too, is too thick to invert and install.

All that said, I am grateful that we have suppliers providing us with aftermarket parts. The "you are the first to complain" response, however, doesn't fly with me.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#8 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Kinda like a Dansk muffler. Probably few, if any fit-up complaints there.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Alan Winer
356 Fan

#9 Post by Alan Winer »

My 64 C Coupe surprisingly still has many of the original rubber components. The accelerator linkage boot was one of them but it had become extremely brittle and fell apart when I removed it. The replacement boot is not the same configuration as the one I removed. It's my speculation that the Speedo and Tach cable boot was close enough to sell as a replacement.
What's more irksome is that I spent almost a whole day dealing with this boot instead of working on the engine rebuild and 12V conversion.
It's not the first time I've been involved in this type of scenario.
Alan

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#10 Post by John Lindstrom »

Soak it in brake fluid for 20 minutes, or more. Rinse it off, spray your favorite graphite or Teflon lube on it to make it real slippery. Push it on applying Substantial quantities of “effort”.

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#11 Post by Glen Getchell »

Alan is dead right. The part is wrong. At least the part Stoddards sold when this thread started. I just replaced the boot with a un opened stoddards boot. I have no idea how long it has been sitting in my parts stash, but surely from at least 2018. It is not the right boot, and if Stoddards didn't know it, well I'll be..... Lets just leave it at that. But like Alan I spent half a day fighting with this.

The simple fact is that the boot is not designed to go over the lip of the boot holder coming off the rear bulk head. It is not big enough to fit over. Therefore they are selling us the wrong boot (unless they have made a change). I suspect many think that it is supposed to slide inside, slide the boot on up to it touches and think its installed. Wrong!

However, unlike Alan, I have opposable thumbs :D That combined with anger I was able to get it installed, but not without modifications.

Here is how to get the throttle linkage boot on. Trim the inside of the big opening but not so far that you loose the ability for the boot to lock on. Heat it with a heat gun, Get the boot half way on and pull hard. Then insert a plastic interior pry tool in the other half of the boot and pry it down and over the mount. Trust me, this is not a "oh look at that it went on installation." This is a "bar room brawl". However, with enough muscle and perseverance (and those thumbs) it will go on. But once on you can still clearly see this is the wrong part.

Glen
64Cx2