Factory Wind Deflector for 356C???

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steven John Groh
356 Fan

Factory Wind Deflector for 356C???

#1 Post by Steven John Groh »

Hello Registry,

The CoA for my 356C Cabriolet 161933 lists as optional equipment "Wind Deflector." The car came only with the removable hardtop and included the Golde electric sunroof option. All options less the wind deflector were with the car when I acquired it.

What in the world exactly is this "wind deflector?" Numerous searches pull up zero. Der White's manuals show nothing that I could find. The optional equipment catalog from Der White also does not list a "wind deflector." But there it is, right on the CoA.

Was there a wind deflector available for sunroof coupes or hardtops that would mount in front of the sunroof leading edge (like on some modern cars?)

Since the build date was 4/23/65 perhaps it was a 911 or 912 option also available for late 356's? But the roof profile would be different, I'd think...

I can't imagine a wind deflector on the door window frames as you could just open the vent, but maybe there was one....but how would that work?

I'm at a loss. I'm fairly certain it's not a F5000 rear wing to mount on the engine lid.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Steven
Steve Groh
'65 Cabriolet

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Re: Factory Wind Deflector for 356C???

#2 Post by Brad Ripley »

You have a quite rare hardtop with sunroof. The wind deflector was an add on to the sun roof. See parts catalog illustration below. This was a late 356 change (Sept 64) so it could have been on your roof since your car was built probably in Feb 65. The deflector popped up as the roof slid backward. BTW, this function was built into all subsequent 911 series sunroofs.
Attachments
SunRoof wind deflector .jpg

Steven John Groh
356 Fan

#3 Post by Steven John Groh »

Thanks so much Brad!
Steve Groh
'65 Cabriolet

bob lerche
356 Fan

#4 Post by bob lerche »

Brad: any chance this part may be reproduced?

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Brad Ripley »

Reproduced? No. However, over the years there are plastic "dams" that attach (somehow) to the leading edge of the sun roof opening. WeatherTech Sunroof Wind Deflectors -- they have a range of these but nothing specifically for Porsche. Call them and ask.