Solex Jets

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Glen Getchell
356 Fan

Solex Jets

#1 Post by Glen Getchell »

Does any one know if jets made by Empi and others that are currently on the market for Solex carbs will fit the P4011?

I have no idea if this has "ever" happened to anyone else, but I lost a *&^% .60 Idle Jet "on" the track at Sebring.

There are numerous suppliers out there for generic Solex Jets, but they give no indication as to what Solex carb the jets fit (are the jets universal?). I have only found one jet that actually says it fits the P4011 (it looks exactly like all the rest). But I refuse on principal alone to pay 20% more than the cost of the jet to ship something the size of a peanut.

Thanks!

Glen
64Cx2

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Solex Jets

#2 Post by David Jones »

Glenn here is a source.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... C10%2D6250
They definitely fit the Solex 40 PII4 carb.
I used to carry about 10 different size main jets and 4 different idle jets when I raced.
What size are you running, I may be able to help with a replacement?
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Glen Getchell »

I'm running stock 115 mains 60 Idles, and stock 180 correction jets. Up until recently this was more of a beefed up street motor, so I never messed with the jets. If its not broken.... But now its broken (never heard of one of these suckers falling out. Especially on a carb that has not been messed with for years), so I need to replace with what I have. But then this whole discussion brings up the other issue of running different main jets (which causes a domino effect) now that the engine is becoming more race specific with higher compression, higher RPM's, etc...

Glen
64Cx2

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

Glenn you may want to talk to Vic or CJ about typical race carb jetting but it takes more than just seat of the pants to find the best jets to go fast. In my limited experience I found that once the carbs were set as far as venturi size and air correction I only had to change main jets when air density changed. Idle jets had no effect once you were above 3K rpm so I would think the 60's would work just fine. I will look but I doubt I have a 60 as they are rather a big jet for street use. You could just enlarge a 57.5 to match a 60 at a push and it is not going to cause any real issues on a race car set up. I reamed jets out often but you must ID them in some way otherwise you can really screw the carb jetting up.
If you do not have access to a dyno then using an EGT gauge you can get close to a good jet setup but it takes track time to see the changes and keep track of them to get to the right jetting.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Glen Getchell »

Thanks for the info.

Ya, the whole Jetting thing gets to be a kind of a hassle with the amount of track time we get on a typical race weekend in SCCA Vintage (and I rarely get to do other organization races. Maybe once every other year). Trial an error can easily eat up a whole race weekend when you only have about 1.5 hrs on the track in two days. That is why I have tended to stay away from "hyper fine tuning". If everything seems to be running well just floor it. To me a podium position is not having to work on the car when I come home. I haven't decided what a win is yet. But man I've been loosing a lot lately.:-)

As to the idle jet. They don't make a lot of difference on the track unless you have a hole where one is supposed to be. Then I would argue, they make quite a big difference.:-)

Glen
64Cx2

John Clarke
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Clarke »

As to idle jets not making any difference on the track, I think they control a lot before the transition to the Main Jets, racing or otherwise!. Speak with Vic or CJ
Jay