Grunching/grinding noise

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bill Scholfield
356 Fan

Grunching/grinding noise

#1 Post by Bill Scholfield »

Hi, went out on a drive in the country today and all was going very well, until I stopped at a crossroad. On taking up drive (gently) there was a grunching/grinding noise that I could hear, but also feel through the seat back. The car has never done this before - 356C. So I stopped, checked everything I could and then gingerly started again, no noise! On the drive home all was well and I could not recreate the same event. Should I be worried ( I am of course ) and what should I check for.

Thanks in anticipation

Bill

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Grunching/grinding noise

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I would look closely at a hung up brake caliper, either due to caliper itself or rubber brake line swollen internally. After a drive feel how hot each wheel is. If one is very hot you know where to look.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

John Weyand
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Weyand »

We live on an unpaved road and at times we have experienced a "fingernail on the chalkboard" noise on a disc brake car. A small stone lands between the brake rotor and backing plate and creates a noise that even a nearly deaf driver will fear. However nasty the sound, there is no "feeling" involved beyond the hair-raising noise.
John W
'64 "C" coupe

Bill Scholfield
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bill Scholfield »

Thank you both for your ideas, will take the car for a run tomorrow and check the heat on each wheel. Certainly less of a worry than my worst fears. Will report back

Bill

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Lindstrom »

If you rode in my car I and heard the noises that IT makes you would quickly jump out and seek cover. Sounds like your car is brand new.